What to take in your emergency kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Hi folks, can you give me some advice as to what I should take with me when I go out on my cycle eg drinks bottle?
Thanks

Drink

In Pockets:
Phone (in waterproof bag)
£20 tucked into phone case
Inner Tube
Food

saddle bag with;
Multitool (Topeak Mini 20)
Inner Tube
Patches
Quick Link
Tyre Levers
CO2 inflater and 3 canisters
Nitrile Gloves

If I am on my fixed gear bike I also pop in a 15mm Spanner

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Basic: Tyre levers, spare tube(s), a means of inflation (pump or CO2), cash/cards, food, phone.

Slightly less basic, add: Multi-tool, puncture repair kit, tyre boot, spare batteries (if you have lights/GPS requiring them), disposable gloves, tissues, more food.

De luxe add: Cable ties, Duck Tape, pump (if not already in the above), spare quick links (in various appropriate sizes), chain tool (if not included in multi tool), adjustable spanner/spanners for specific nuts (if bike has them), charge tank for phone/gps, bigger multi-tool incl pliers and other stuff, even more food.

KneesUp

Guru
It depends how far you are travelling I guess.

On my commute I take nothing. Not even a pump. Actually sometimes I take the tool(s) I needed to adjust the thing I last adjusted if I've just adjusted something, just in case it comes loose, or has been adjusted badly by some idiot with a spanner :smile: This is because in the event of catastrophic failure I can lock the bike up and get home by foot, bus or calling for a lift, then go and fetch it with the bike rack later. So far I've had one day in a few years where I've had to walk pushing the bike part of the way.

You may want more if you're going further :smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Multitool, tyre levers, patches and / or a spare tube, anything you need to get the wheels off (which might be nothing) and a pump.
Cash or card, and maybe a mobile?
Although, I have found that most pubs will let you use their phone if you buy something. And so it came to pass that I spent a pleasant Sunday morning drinking beer and eating bar snacks while awaiting rescue, whereas I could have used a mobile and then waited on a grass verge.
Silly, silly me :cheers:

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
2 x tubes
multi-tool
tyre levers
puncture repair kit
food/gels
mobile
debit card
pump
2 x bottles of water/squash

1 x Inner tube
1 x co2 canister and inflator
Repair kit
Spanner if I'm on a bike that needs one
Tyre levers
Phone
Spare cash
Multitool
Haribo
Edit/ Mjr's post reminds me I also take mini insect repellant and mini sunscreen :smile:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Drink

In Pockets:
Phone (in waterproof bag)
£20 tucked into phone case
Inner Tube
Food

saddle bag with;
Multitool (Topeak Mini 20)
Inner Tube
Patches
Quick Link
Tyre Levers
CO2 inflater and 3 canisters
Nitrile Gloves

If I am on my fixed gear bike I also pop in a 15mm Spanner
^^ This, except mini track pump instead of CO2, 100mm adjustable spanner (15mm jaw - watch out for that) instead of the 15mm fixed, and a mini chain brute, 1/4" square drive 100mm sliding bar, 10mm (brakes, gears), 14mm (cranks) and hex drive sockets with hex bits covering the needed mix of allen and screw heads instead of the multitool (as I find the bulky body of multitools tend to get in the way with my bikes). Plus some cable ties, tape, lock and keys. And for group or very long rides, add a small pound shop oil tin, mini sun block, insect repellent, body spray, (don't mix any of them up) kitchen sink.

There's more than one way to skin this cat.

Has anyone tried the 110g PWLife expanding flat strip 18-in-1 multitool or those tiny 30g EDC Octopus ones?

Will Spin

Über Member
As above, though don't usually bother with the multi tool if the bike is running well and unless I have recently made any changes to the bike, eg gear cables etc.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
2x 750ml drinks bottles, filled with water - you may choose to add an electrolyte tablet or two, it's up to you.
*2x spare tubes
*Multi-tool
*3x tyre levers
Mini-Pump (I find the Topeak Road Rocket a good compromise between size/lightness and ease of use, others may argue for something different)
*CO2 inflator / canister(s)
*Pack of Scabs (in case I'm really unlucky!)

Everything marked * fits in an seat post bag which is always on the bike so I can't forget it (I have each bike set up with the same)

Plus money / bank card and mobile phone

You might also want to consider some sort of lock in case you stop anywhere (café / toilet break?). If you've got insurance, they may insist on a certain standard of lock if the bike is left unattended.

Top Bottom