What To Use To Prevent Galvannic Corrosion On New Quill Stem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbine

I'm going to replace the old steel and chrome quill stem on my steel framed MTB with a new aluminum one. What grease or other coating can I put on the stem to stop it reacting with the steel headset tube and seizing in place?

Many thanks for any help and advice.

Copper grease is the preferred stuff - failing that any regular grease is better than nowt.

Tom B

Guru
You can get anti galvanic corrosion paste. Not sure if it's much use in this instance. I've never used it just saw it at a local tool & fixings merchants a few days ago.

I have some shimano anti-seize - seems good stuff for this.
But if not available I'd just use simple heavy grease.
Have never yet had a quill stick despite some mistreatment.
It's a good basic system.

Drago

Legendary Member
Moly ant seize 'grease' is the bestestest, but any old grease will likely do so long as its released, cleaned, inspected and re lubed every few years.

Once assembled a thin smear of silicone sealant arpund the top nut of the headset and the stem will feduce water ingress (works on seat posts too for bikes that are used all weathers.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbine

woodbine

Thanks to all for your replies. Will see if I have any of your suggestions knocking around in the garage, if not will source the right product.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I use Alumslip anti seize when assembly involves aluminium. But as others have said any grease is better than none.

GuyBoden

Guru
The trouble with anti-sieze on seatposts, is that the seatpost can sometimes slip, but slippage has never occurred on my quill stems, but I wouldn't over do it with the grease.

silva

Über Member
I'm going to replace the old steel and chrome quill stem on my steel framed MTB with a new aluminum one. What grease or other coating can I put on the stem to stop it reacting with the steel headset tube and seizing in place?

Many thanks for any help and advice.
Why would aluminium suffer galvanic corrosion with a non stainless steel grade frame?
It's only when metals differ alot in nobility (so higher voltage).
And how could it lead to seizing in place?
It's the opposite, the aluminium gets dissolved - things come lose. Byebye screwthread etc. You can see white powder in place.

An example of galvanic corrosion is between an inner tube valve and an aluminium rim.
You see a little bit white powder around the valve basis, that means the hole in the rim got abit wider.
But it's not worse / acceptable, because once the hole got wider, contact is less or nothing, and without contact, no electrical current, and no corrosion. Also, the amount aluminium is way bigger than the amount stainless, so the current has more "conducting material " to pass through / no concentration. The opposite, an aluminium screw in a stainless plate, wouldn't last long.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Why would aluminium suffer galvanic corrosion with a non stainless steel grade frame?
It's only when metals differ alot in nobility (so higher voltage).
And how could it lead to seizing in place?
It's the opposite, the aluminium gets dissolved - things come lose. Byebye screwthread etc. You can see white powder in place.

An example of galvanic corrosion is between an inner tube valve and an aluminium rim.
You see a little bit white powder around the valve basis, that means the hole in the rim got abit wider.
But it's not worse / acceptable, because once the hole got wider, contact is less or nothing, and without contact, no electrical current, and no corrosion. Also, the amount aluminium is way bigger than the amount stainless, so the current has more "conducting material " to pass through / no concentration. The opposite, an aluminium screw in a stainless plate, wouldn't last long.
Search 'Stuck seatpost, 'Stuck stem' on here, it happens a lot

Top Bottom