What to wear on a Brompton for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
bwc.jpg

(Me at the Brompton World Champs in 2010)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Surely Rapha has a Brompton-optimised range?
I can't see who makes the official clothing: https://bromptonjunction.com/shop/brompton-original-design-mens-red-t-shirt/

simon.r

Person
For me one of the great things about the Brompton is that I wear normal clothes when I ride it for short journeys. Jeans, a long sleeved polo and a hoody in the sort of weather we have now. Shorts and t-shirt as it gets warmer.

For a 1/2 hour commute I wouldn't have thought any special clothes were necesssary.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Has anyone mentioned footwear?

Assuming you are going to use the stock pedals, I recommend walking shoes/boots that look like trainers.

Stiffer sole than ordinary trainers, and some waterproofing.

Something like this for thirty quid would do the job.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mount-low-mens-walking-shoes-183075?colcode=18307504
Thanks. I had considered using a current pair of walking shoes but when I tried it out realised they came up too high over my ankle and restricted movement. The ones you linked to look a little lower.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When commuting on mine I wore the same, casual, clothes I wore for the office. I changed my trainers for different shoes in the office, but only because I don't like wearing trainers all day. In the winter I may have worn extra layers for the commute which I'd remove for the office.

It was only five miles each way - no need for special clothing.

OP
OP
U

User33236

When commuting on mine I wore the same, casual, clothes I wore for the office. I changed my trainers for different shoes in the office, but only because I don't like wearing trainers all day. In the winter I may have worn extra layers for the commute which I'd remove for the office.

It was only five miles each way - no need for special clothing.

I do tend to get hot even when cycling shortish distances hence the desire to change before starting work.

U

User32269

If you need padding, use a cheep pair of cycling shorts under some lightweight casual shorts. A wicking t shirt, a light fleece if it's chilly, a packable waterproof in your saddle pack. Oh, and a pair of Adidas Samba. Gets me through life.
I'd be more worried about been seen on a Brompton!

OP
OP
U

User33236

If you need padding, use a cheep pair of cycling shorts under some lightweight casual shorts. A wicking t shirt, a light fleece if it's chilly, a packable waterproof in your saddle pack. Oh, and a pair of Adidas Samba. Gets me through life.
I'd be more worried about been seen on a Brompton![/QUOTE]
I used to feel that way but they do serve a purpose and do it very well.

Top Bottom