What to wear under bike shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Niblox

Most people seem to wear bike shorts only next to the skin (especially if they are lycra) but what about baggy shorts? Also, if you feel the need, what do you wear under lycra shorts (if anything)?

Cold or cool weather is no problem, but hot weather can really make you sweat. Personally in the winter / spring I wear a rugby / cricket jockstrap under my shorts. Anyone else use this? They were originally developed for cycle couriers but were taken up by the general sports community.

Russdee

Hi,

Only wear lycra when on the Bike - and nothing, other than a dollop of Sudacream strategically placed.

Cheers

Russ

iendicott

Yes only wear Lycra shorts, handy for not chaffing and great at high speed for ventillation ;)

You can get "special" underwear for most bikes shops though if you wish.

dodgy

I must admit, I've never in all my years heard of any cyclist wearing a jockstrap under their shorts ;)

OP
OP
Niblox

Niblox

I know it sounds unusual, but according to Wikipedia, they were developed for cycle couriers in 19th century Boston to protect their asset when cycling over cobbled streets. The term "bicycle jockey" evolved into "jock" and then into what we know today. I just have got so used to wearing them for gym or any other sports that I wear them for cycling.

ASC1951

Guru
Niblox said:
I know it sounds unusual, but according to Wikipedia, they were developed for cycle couriers in 19th century Boston to protect their asset when cycling over cobbled streets. The term "bicycle jockey" evolved into "jock" and then into what we know today.
I had always assumed that it was from the much older meaning of jock (= cock), but as you say Wikipedia is quite specific.

The Americans really do do world class slang. I particularly like their phrase for people who hang around the fringes of professional sport - jock sniffers.

Anyway, you shouldn't wear anything under proper cycling shorts. If you must, go for something boxer-type so that you don't have a seam at the top of your thighs to get sweaty and chafe you.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
padded cycling underwear is available and endura do a range of baggy shorts and "click in" Lycra shorts that can be worn at the same time or separate.

Top Bottom