What to wear... What to wear...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just a quick ramble:
The best things I've done since screwing my knees up six years ago is: Wearing Crane leg warmers from Aldi with my cycling shorts in the warm weather, and wearing Gore thermal bib tights through the winter.
The knees are doing great and benefiting from being warm and supported. In fact they're only really ratty when I'm not riding!

The shorts and the leg warmers are getting a bit long in the tooth so I'm looking for summer kit now.
I'm on a mountain bike and doing 90% of my riding on trails.

So what do I do:
Get new shorts and leg warmers?
Go for 3/4 bibs? - Gore Element may look weird with Sealskinz socks on warm wet days.
Try and find summer bib tights?

I'll never ride with knees uncovered again, but I don't want to roast as I do in the Gore bibs when the sun peeks out.

I know this was asked by someone back in 2009 so I'm wondering if anything has changed.
Any opinions gratefully accepted.

Kajjal

Guru
I would carry on with what works and buy newer replacements. Once you get injuries or older keeping your knees warm is important.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I agree, I too keep my knees wrapped up even in the warmer weather, shorts and leg warmers in summer and thermals + leg warmers in winter.

Why not just knee warmers rather than leg warmers?

With your shorts obviously :okay:

You can get HiViz leg warmers that cover your knees....

enhanced-buzz-14554-1344362165-2.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably you mean knee warmers rather than full leg warmers if considering 3/4 lengths?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
They're always telling me on the club run to wear longs/tights but i like the fresh air on my legs. OP, do you feel comfy on a hot day wearing sun attracting black longs?

Unless it gets really warm I'm fine with the leg warmers and standard shorts. They're just getting a bit old and worn.

The experience was so bad with the knees over 5 years that I'd do anything just to keep riding.
I would love the air round my legs but the the thought of returning to the pain isn't worth it.

I'm gonna look for knee warmers too.

Top Bottom