What Tools?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi...

I am looking to start to do my own repairs and such on my bike instead of using a LBS. (Unless its MAJOR work :tongue: )

Therefore, I would like to know what tools you think I should have? (I have a Multi-tool and random other tools I've collected but would rather have a designated cycle tool box)

And

Are there any 'complete tool sets' you recommend?

Any other advice would be great!

Thanks

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've bought tools as I went along - i.e. when I needed to do a specific job.

Going out and buying a complete tool kit can be expensive.

Here's a few things you might need along the way:

Track Pump
Hex Keys of varying sizes
Small Screwdrivers
Puncture repair kit
Tyre Levers
Chain whip
Cassette removal tool
Adjustable spanner - for some bikes
Spoke key
Chain splitter

OP
OP
1987Witherspoon

1987Witherspoon

Thanks

I actually seen them kits a few days ago...only live 2 mins away from a EBC store.

At the moment I'm getting buy with a cheap (ie. very very cheap) set of allen keys and screwdrivers, although I did buy a Mini Tune Up Stand...its great as long as you don't mind sitting on the floor.

The only worry I have is buying a few tools a few weeks apart and it costing the same as a 'set' (if that makes sense)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Thanks

I actually seen them kits a few days ago...only live 2 mins away from a EBC store.

At the moment I'm getting buy with a cheap (ie. very very cheap) set of allen keys and screwdrivers, although I did buy a Mini Tune Up Stand...its great as long as you don't mind sitting on the floor.

The only worry I have is buying a few tools a few weeks apart and it costing the same as a 'set' (if that makes sense)

Maybe best to wait for a sale, as they often discount them...

e-rider

crappy member
don't buy cheap tools if you're serious - that's a big crime so stay away from Aldi and lidl.

Park tools are decent but overpriced. Unless you are loaded I'd buy the tools as and when you need them. The large tool kits generally contain tools you'll never need so any initail savings will be lost because you'll be paying for stuff you don't need.

Don't use a multitool for work at home - save it for the roadside.

LizardEye

I bought the EBC toolkit after going on one of their maintenance courses, which was much more useful than the kit.

Don't pay full wack for it, they discount it every year. I got mine for £30 in late August so guess they'll be doing them again soon.

It's an ok kit for starting out. It has some standard tools which most people would have anyway, which seems a bit pointless.

The chain whip is a bit naff as bits fall off easily, but the various adaptors and crank remover etc are ok.

If you totalled up the cost of the bike specific tools, the kit would probably work out cheaper than buying
them individually, but only just.

Top Bottom