What touring bike could I get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I have a Thorn Audax (now badged as Audax "classic") which is used for my LEJOG last month. I found it to be supremely comfortable, totally reliable, and it has a decent turn of speed. Not suitable for heavy duty touring due to the pannier rack weight limit (10 kg I think). The best bit is that I picked up the frame & fork in mint condition for £75 off ebay! So I now have a bike that would cost £1500+ new, for around £500 all in.

So keep an eye out on ebay - tourers tend to be very cheap.

alfablue

rikitoun said:
I think I have choose the dawes ultra galaxy. In the evans website there is 2 type of ultra galaxy. The 2005 model is 800£ and the 2007 model 1000£. Do you think is worthy to get the 2007 model? I can not really see the difference between them.

http://www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=3401

Thanks.
I have read threads from others on this forum where Evans have supplied the old model Galaxies with 32 spoke poorer quality wheels - instead of the original spec 36 inch wheels. Spa Cycles may be a more reliable place to buy a Galaxy from.

Danny

Legendary Member
vernon said:
I'd suggest that you eliminate the Dawes Audax from the choice - it isn't up to full touring loads.

Vernon and alphablue have made the same point about a Dawes Audax not being up to "a full touring load".

What sort of load would you typically expect a Dawes Audax - or other similar Audax bike - to be able to comfortably cope with?

I wouldn't expect a bike like to be used to take a full load of camping gear, but always assumed you could carry a couple of panniers with enough gear for a tour where you were staying in B&Bs or hostels.

I wasn't aware that Thorn Audax bikes had a 10kg limit, but should this be regarded as the typical weight limit for an Audax bike, or will it vary from make to make?

NB I appreciate that real audax riders would happily tour for weeks with just a saddle bag, but I like my creature comforts too much.

alfablue

I find the Audax isn't really up to commuting (one pannier with laptop, another with clothes, locks and papers). It isn't too bad, just some slight flex noticeable; but full-up touring is a no-no in my view. I think the 10kg limit is sensible.

My Audax is made of 531c tubes (c for competition), the galaxies of the same era were 531st (Super Tourist) tubes, so the same steel but sturdier tubes on the galaxy. I imagine a similar situation applies to current models.

I think your proposed uses are too broad for an Audax type bike, whereas a full tourer would do the range, though it wouldn't be the lightest, it would at least cope with everything. You could remove rack and other extras when you want to use it for light / fast duties, and possibly upgrade the wheels.

U

User482

alfablue said:
I find the Audax isn't really up to commuting (one pannier with laptop, another with clothes, locks and papers). It isn't too bad, just some slight flex noticeable; but full-up touring is a no-no in my view. I think the 10kg limit is sensible.

My Audax is made of 531c tubes (c for competition), the galaxies of the same era were 531st (Super Tourist) tubes, so the same steel but sturdier tubes on the galaxy. I imagine a similar situation applies to current models.

I think your proposed uses are too broad for an Audax type bike, whereas a full tourer would do the range, though it wouldn't be the lightest, it would at least cope with everything. You could remove rack and other extras when you want to use it for light / fast duties, and possibly upgrade the wheels.

My Thorn Audax is 531C frame & 531 fork. It was absolutely perfect for my "credit card" lejog. It was fairly stable loaded up with 2 rear panniers, but I think camping touring is out of the question.

U

User482

andy_wrx said:
Can I complicate the 'I want a light bike for audax/fast touring, vs I want a heavy bike for full-loaded touring` debate ?

How about the lighter spec bike but pulling a trailer - an Extrawheel or Bob Yak (or EBC copy).

I suggest you go over to the CTC forum and look up "MickF". I think he did LEJOGLE (yes really!) on a fairly lightweight Mercian, & trailer.

OP
OP
R

rikitoun

I just being looking the thorn bike the exp (expedition). Next year I am going to make long riding (3 weeks or months) so I do not know if 26" wheels will be better than 700cc. What to do you think about this bike? I do not want to spend incredible amount of money, I just want the right bike for the goal I want.
My travels will go fro different fields, road mainly, but could be a little bit of off road. I want to try ride to south America.
I want mainly to enjoy the travel not the bike I have get, but I want to minimize the problems could happen.
My bikes at the moment:

- Thorn exp (Derailleur)
- Dawes ultra galaxy.
- Paul Hewit.
Even I do not know if to keep my old MTB GT avalanche Alluminiun frame 7005, to buy good component gear and finish with my indecision and to think only in the more important thing; to ride and enjoy the experience.
What is your opinion?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I know very little technically but I believe that 26" wheels are easier to find inners/tyres/spares for on the continent. I've toured on both wheel sizes and haven't really noticed the difference, but I'm not that sophisticated a cyclist.

Have you looked at Thorn bikes? I bought a second hand Thorn XTC (whose photo is on the photo gallery) and I love every fibre in its being. Admittedly, I'm about to take it to India touring next week, so I may have a different view when I get back!!!! I'll let you know,

Bigtallfatbloke

I would get a Dawes Something, maybe an Ultra Galaxy, although I am happy with my Galaxy, and then spend the rest on panniers, lights and the other bits and pieces you need for a succesful tour.

That is what I did and I am happy I did.

Abitrary

Having done a couple of tours on the continent, and having seen what the continental tourers ride over there, I can only conclude that the british are being completely ripped off with all this 'pro steel tourer drop handlebar stuff' well, at least for continental needs.

You go over there and you see whole families touring, with babies and everything, *massive* tents on the back, prams.. the lot

And it's all done on big aluminium hybrid / mountainy bike things. The only brand I can draw a visual paralell with would be something like ridgeback

gwhite

Über Member
^^^^^ Not sure I follow your reasoning. Why should the fact that some families lumber themselves with heavy bikes and camping gear, in some way mean that British tourers are being ripped off in preferring traditional touring bikes.

Danny

Legendary Member
Trust BTFB to find a link between aluminium frames and women's thighs.

Anyway, getting back to an earlier point in this thread, how do you know if your rear triangle is "flexing" under weight. I am not sure if I have ever had this problem on my traditional steel tourer, but then I might not be able to spot it if I did.

The other day I carried six bottles of wine home in my panniers, I did not feel any kind of sway - at least until I started drinking them.:biggrin:

alfablue

Dannyg said:
Trust BTFB to find a link between aluminium frames and women's thighs.

Anyway, getting back to an earlier point in this thread, how do you know if your rear triangle is "flexing" under weight. I am not sure if I have ever had this problem on my traditional steel tourer, but then I might not be able to spot it if I did.

The other day I carried six bottles of wine home in my panniers, I did not feel any kind of sway - at least until I started drinking them.:biggrin:

My Audax has very skinny tubes at the rear triangle, similar to what you might find on a race bike. When I put the power down when fully loaded I feel the flex or sway, and it slightly upsets the handling. Its not the rack or panniers, they are very well secured. On my Ti bike this doesn't happen. Neither should irt happen on any standard tourer, but this particular Dawes Audax (1998 vintage) is prone to it - which is fair enough, they are only intended for light touring.

Top Bottom