What Track Pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've got the Lidl one, and it bent on the first use (and I'm a small girly, not a strapping bloke)

I have two Lidl ones three years old - the narrow alloy barrelled ones where the barrel moves up and down, they inflate road tyres up to 100+ psi no problem - and I'm not a strapping bloke either - just an oldbloke. Had to replace the chuck on one - with a Topeak brass chuck (superb), but given they have given great (unbending, even) service for three years, at an outlay of £4.99 each, no complaints. The recently purchased £3.99 Lidl one (Beto made - see post above), appears to be very well made, with a superior gauge (all 3 gauges give readings consistent with a reference pressure gauge I use). The Beto one has a wider barrel, (metal) possibly more suitable for MTB tyres, but still pushes air into my tyres quite efficiently. You must be a strong girl, small or not!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Joe Blow Sport is def the one to go for. rated for 160 psi, so easy to get to 120 psi

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
I have a Bikehut one from Halfords which cost £27.99. Has an "intelligent" adapter which works for both Schrader and Presta valves. The gauge says 160psi, so I assume that that's it's rating and not only is it at the top of the barrel thus making it easier to see, it also has a ring with a large arrow which you can set to the desired pressure and just pump until the needle nudges it instead of the smaller numbers in the gauge. IIRC, anything similar was at least £40

The 2nd time Halfords has met my needs when other shops couldn't...:thumbsup:

youngoldbloke

The gauge says 160psi, so I assume that that's it's rating ....... it also has a ring with a large arrow which you can set to the desired pressure and just pump until the needle nudges it instead of the smaller numbers in the gauge.

My 3.99 Lidl (Beto) gauge is the same. The other Lidl pumps have 200psi on the dial ........ just because the figure is there don't assume the pump is capable of it. Anyway - 'You pays your money and takes your choice' - for me an outlay of less than £20 (inc. a replacement Topeak chuck at 5.99 from CRC) has given me 3 efficient track pumps.

Piscator

I bought a Park Tools PFP-3 pump on Ebay for £20, and it does the job I want it to. However, I think that this model has been superseded, but I see PFP6 pumps on Ebay for about £25.

gavintc

Guru
I've got a couple from Aldi/ Lidl and they are good for cheap emergencies but mine really struggle over 85psi and their valve fittings are pretty poor.

I also use a Ed Co Op track pump (it was about the middle of the range when I was looking to buy one) and I can't fault it.

I completely support HLaB, I got one a few years ago when I starting to take cycling more seriously. It was OK - but struggled at higher pressures. I got a Specialized track pump from the LBS for about 20-25 GBP. It works so much better than the older Aldi / Lidl one (can't remember which) and it went into the bin.

youngoldbloke

Maybe I have been lucky re. the Lidl pumps. Be careful which you buy. Admittedly, some of the ones they have had on sale over the past years have not been up to much, but the narrow metal-barrelled ones from 3 years ago, and the recent one - which as I've noted above, is actually a BETO pump, on sale elsewhere for around £19 - have proved to be quite capable - for road tyres anyway, at 100-110psi.

ASC1951

Guru
Built in accurate pressure guage is a must
No, it isn't. Unless you are a semi pro racer, you can get them plenty accurate enough by feel.

If you are that bothered, you can get one of those plastic inertia gauges which come free with Michelin (?) inner tubes - just as good as any cheap track pump gauge and you aren't going to snap it off.

Top Bottom