What trail features do you struggle most with?

What trail features do you struggle most with?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
After a few years MTB'ing I'm now quite happy bombing bouldery trails, hopping moderate drop-offs, and I'm finally getting to the point where I can take corners a bit faster with better technique.

I do however regularly fall foul of really rather innocuous looking wheel ruts on bridleways and natural trails! Once I'm in one I'm prettty much stuck, which has lead to a few near misses on occasion (and to ploughing full speed through a load of brambles earlier today 'cos I couldn't hop out of the rut).

Skinny ledges are another one for me, they don't look like anything much but I really struggle holding an accurate line with any confidence on them.

Interested to hear what features other peeps on here struggle with (or really like) and maybe to share some riding tips too.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I hate wheel ruts with a vengeance, especially in mud and snow, where you cannot get the grip to escape them. Once you are in you are in

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Glad it's not just me!

The route I took today has a nice green lane descent. While its always quite rutted (plenty of 4x4s use it) its usually squidy enough so you can smoosh out of the rut if you unweight the bike. In this heat they were baked solid and pretty much square edged. While I'm sure I could hop the front wheel out of one I'm equally sure I couldn't manage the back. I've got some pretty good scratches from that bramble bush!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Just to add to that, you can deliberately head for them, in a vain attempt to break to the phobia

IMG_2891.JPG

Drago

Legendary Member
Other riders flying about HUA, teetering on the very edge of awareness and control are the obstacle I dislike the most. They don't know the difference between fast riding and fast risk taking.

Top Bottom