What trailer should I get for a Delta Trike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

djwashburn

I have started cycling around my small town in a Delta Trike I bought a couple months ago. It would be nice to be able to carry somethings with me, like if i go to the grocery store. (hate to drive the car just for that) but I am kind of new to trikes and know nothing about what trailers are good or what goes best with a trike.
I would appreciate any advise you might have.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have a large Carry Freedom, I tow it behind my tadpoles with the supplied towing arm, and had Carry Freedom make me a towing arm for the Kettwiesel. You can't use the normal one as it is designed to attach to the rear wheel skewer and so is offset from the centre line of the trailer. As the Kett's tow point is dead centre the trailer wouldn't follow the same track as the trike.
Whatever you do I'd advise you to steer clear of single wheeled trailers as they are designed to bank with a two wheeler and tend to impose a twisting moment to the trike.

Last edited:
As above

The only real restriction on trikes is that single wheel trailers are not a good idea.

On two wheel bike he trailer tips with the bike, but on a trike it cannot, so the twisting forces are taken up by the frame. ICE and others specifically forbid.

I have the same set up as Byegad on the Kettweiesel. I may even owe Byegad realities as I have an extended arm from CF!

The Cyclone trailer arm is too short and clashes with the wheels on some turns

This same effect will exclude many of the mass market trailers

OP
OP
djwashburn

djwashburn

As above

The only real restriction on trikes is that single wheel trailers are not a good idea.

On two wheel bike he trailer tips with the bike, but on a trike it cannot, so the twisting forces are taken up by the frame. ICE and others specifically forbid.

I have the same set up as Byegad on the Kettweiesel. I may even owe Byegad realities as I have an extended arm from CF!

The Cyclone trailer arm is too short and clashes with the wheels on some turns

This same effect will exclude many of the mass market trailers

Maybe i should just design and build one myself. Any suggestions as i look into this?

byegad

Legendary Member
Central tow point on trike=central tow arm. Offset tow point on trike+offset tow arm.

Other than that keep the weight as low down as possible and make sure the trailer wheels are parallel. Not exactly rocket science.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
trailer.jpg

OP
OP
djwashburn

djwashburn

I have a large Carry Freedom, I tow it behind my tadpoles with the supplied towing arm, and had Carry Freedom make me a towing arm for the Kettwiesel. You can't use the normal one as it is designed to attach to the rear wheel skewer and so is offset from the centre line of the trailer. As the Kett's tow point is dead centre the trailer wouldn't follow the same track as the trike.
Whatever you do I'd advise you to steer clear of single wheeled trailers as they are designed to bank with a two wheeler and tend to impose a twisting moment to the trike.

Maybe i should just design and build one myself. Any suggestions as i look into this?
What kind of hitch mounting point do you have?
there is a bracket in the back i can hitch to

byegad

Legendary Member
Carry Freedom supplied a hitch on both tow arms, I merely attached the hitch to the central tow point of the Kettwiesel.

Top Bottom