What turbo? Help needed please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
I like the look of the CycleOps Fluid 2 which seems to get good reviews and costs about £200. I'm looking to get one to facilitate a gentle re-introduction to cycling following surgery to implant a pacemaker. To be honest, going straight back out on the roads this time of year is a bit daunting as I don't fancy the prospect of falling off. Stupid I know when I've been cycling for 6 years+ with no significant accidents, but such is the human mind. Anyway, 2 questions of my own if I may. Firstly, how do most people track their turbo trainer workouts? Is it just time? or people also track equivalent distance? Secondly, are there risks that a turbo trainer might in some way damage the bike frame?
I bough a cheap wired computer and set it up to work of the rear wheel. Had to pad it out a bit to get it to work .I also just have a clock near .no a turbo will not damage the frame

Reactions: JtB

BSRU

A Human Being
@JtB You can use TrainingPeaks or GoldenCheetah to track workouts but like others they're best used with a power meter to get the full benefits.
Before I had a power meter I used to track workouts by time spent in each heart rate zone, crude compared to using a power meter.
A CycleOps Fluid 2 will not damage your bike frame.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Time at intensity, the same as any "training" session, regardless of being on the road or turbo. Miles are irrelevant!

If a fluid2 damages bikes, my bike would be dust by now. My fluid2 has seen so much use it makes a horrible grinding sound and the tyre has worn a substantial groove in the metal resistance roller!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I wasn't thinking so much of damage caused by the roller, but more whether bolting a bike into a trainer might potentially twist the fame. Anyway, after further research I'm starting to shift more towards the CycleOps Jet Fluid Pro Trainer. For an extra £27 (compared to the CycleOps Fluid 2) it has a sturdier frame, operates at a lower temperature and is supposedly quieter.

screenman

Legendary Member
CS-1000 if you want something thst rides well and has plenty of info, mine is well used and over 20 years old. Many members of the TT forum have older one's..

gam001

Über Member
Time at intensity, the same as any "training" session, regardless of being on the road or turbo. Miles are irrelevant!

If a fluid2 damages bikes, my bike would be dust by now. My fluid2 has seen so much use it makes a horrible grinding sound and the tyre has worn a substantial groove in the metal resistance roller!

Mine went like that rob, groove and sounded like a motorbike when upto speed.
Utilised lifetime guarantee and got a free replacement part...now dead quiet and no grove (yet)

Top Bottom