What type of bike am I looking for...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
I (hope to) cycle to work 8 miles each way. 6 miles are on a quiet, flat country road. The remaining 2 miles are through a busy town centre.
I purchased a good quality mountain. It had shock forks which I always had locked out. I placed some smooth tyres on it to make the ride more comfortable. I found the bike to provide confidence, especially when travelling through the town stretch. Being rugged it could handle my 17 stone well. The problem was it was so heavy. I saw people of retirement age whizzing pass me. They weren't peddling faster or in a faster gear. They may have been fitter than me but not by that much. I saw it clearly as my bike was too heavy. I sold it.

I then purchased a Giant road bike. It was much lighter and quicker than the mountain bike. One problem, I had no confidence using the drop-down handle and brakes, especially when going through the town stretch. I just stopped riding it. I could've persevered to become confident but I just didn't feel comfortable riding it. I also wondered how long the bike could last with my 17 stone on it before the wheels/spokes caved in. All in all, I sold it.

I feel I need a bike that is light enough to be fast. Robust enough to handle my weight. With flat-bar handle and brakes for confidence, but preferably with some special handles where I could have my palms facing inwards for more aerodynamics (like a road bike).

What type of bike should I get?
A hybrid bike with special handles?
A cyclocross bike seems to have quickness and flat-bar braking?

I do not race but I do wish the bike to be quick, and certainly quicker than my mountain bike was (road and hybrid have 700c wheels too). I also need to have confidence braking and weaving between vehicles/people in built-up areas.

What do you suggest?
Thanks.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Many people will advise that you get what they like. I like roadsters, but I think most of what you are considering could do the job. You are unlikely to beat one with drop-handlebars for aerodynamics, but if you can fit the bike properly and persuade yourself to lean forwards and put your hands on the front part of any swept bar (North Roads, porters, even riser bars with aero clip-ons - almost anything but the wide flat bars which many MTBs have) then you may get close enough.

By the way, the people of retirement age may not do much else except long bike rides, or they may be on ebikes with panniers hiding the battery and rear-wheel motor - I know 80ish-year-olds who can probably leave me for dead much of the time if they choose to, for both reasons. Get over it :smile:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
First off, don't worry about your weight. Bikes are strong. Second, it sounds to me like you got it about right with your Giant - the only problem you had was issues with how to ride it. I'd suggest you had about the right bike, but needed to know how to ride it properly. For one thing, if you ride a dropped handlebar bike, you hardly ever use the bottom part - you don't have to use it ever. Look at people riding, when you're on foot. The vast majority will be 'on the hoods', as they say. Like this:

O95Rg.jpg

Once you've got the hang of that (and it's really easy, believe me!) you should have no problems. It also keeps you a bit more upright, which is more comfortable for anything other than sprinting, and gives you better vision ahead too.

And if that really doesn't work for you, and bike shop will switch you to flat bars for not too much money. Either way, if you're riding distances on the road, a proper road bike is by far your best option.

Good luck and happy riding!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Either way, if you're riding distances on the road, a proper road bike is by far your best option.
Where proper road bikes are currently sold as adventure or gravel bikes? A full-blooded racer on very narrow high pressure tyres mounted on low-spoke-count wheels probably isn't going to be the best for the OP...

Alan O

Über Member
As MJR says, people are likely to recommend the bike they'd choose themselves for your kind of riding - after all, our own experience is all we have to go on - but only you can choose what's right for you. And there's a rule of thumb (or there should be) that says the longer any "What bike should I get?" thread gets, the more the number of recommendations will tend towards every bike that's ever been made :whistle:

My perfect commuter bike would probably be my steel touring bike, but that's got drop bars (but though it's apparently unfashionable these days, I have the bars set higher than most and I use the drops quite a lot).

But then, for an 8-mile each way commute, I'd also be happy on my lighter and faster (but still steel) road bike with narrower tyres. Or my mountain bike, which is currently wearing near-slick summer tyres. (Or then again, I've got a very cheap rigid mountain bike that would make a great commuter...) And, you know, I've always had a hankering after a roadster too! In reality, if I needed to commute again, I'd very likely switch between my bikes just for a bit of variety.

Maybe the best for you would be a hybrid bike with a relatively light frame, but with enough clearance to take wider tyres than a pure road bike? I'm thinking 28mm or 32mm tyres. Or, if you could adapt to drop bars, perhaps one of those new-fangled adventure or gravel bikes? Though, you know what? The more I read about adventure/gravel bikes, the more they sound like they're fitting the same market space as my old tourer - and I'm back to where I started.

Sorry this isn't more helpful, but as you've tried the extremes of MTB and road bike, at least you know what you really want is probably somewhere in between

Oh, and just one final (and pedantic) point... You say "I saw people of retirement age whizzing pass me. They weren't peddling faster or in a faster gear", but that can't be true. Any two riders using the same gear (measured properly, taking account of wheel sizes) and pedaling at the same cadence will be going at the same speed (assuming they're not freewheeling downhill faster than they're pedaling).

Reactions: mjr

Alan O

Über Member
@dac i would make a suggestion of going for a decent brand early 90's non suspension mtb and stick some slicker road tyres on it , and go from there
I think that's a pretty good idea, especially as you can often find them really cheap on eBay - and I've seen plenty that would only need a minimal service. You'd get a feel for what can be a very good commuter bike, and as you could almost certainly resell one for around what you paid for it (providing you selected fairly carefully in the first place), it shouldn't be a big financial hit if you don't like it.

I do have to say that for me, robustness and puncture protection would be my priorities for commuter tyres, not speed - but there are plenty of "city" tyres that do seem to offer a decent compromise.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think that's a pretty good idea, especially as you can often find them really cheap on eBay - and I've seen plenty that would only need a minimal service. You'd get a feel for what can be a very good commuter bike, and as you could almost certainly resell one for around what you paid for it (providing you selected fairly carefully in the first place), it shouldn't be a big financial hit if you don't like it.

I do have to say that for me, robustness and puncture protection would be my priorities for commuter tyres, not speed - but there are plenty of "city" tyres that do seem to offer a decent compromise.

i have picked up 3 such bike's recently and have managed to sell them to novice commuters for the same reason and yes agree re tyres comment

Alan O

Über Member
i have picked up 3 such bike's recently and have managed to sell them to novice commuters for the same reason and yes agree re tyres comment
Actually, this discussion is reminding me again that I really should get my Grisley Orion (£30) on the road!

botchjob

Veteran
take a look at the Genesis Equilibrium range. They have drop bars but that only takes a tiny bit of getting used to. They're steel, bullet proof, take a rack and mudguards, 28c tyres, and are FUN! They have a pretty upright geometry so are comfortable for everyday riding. But they're sporty, and fast enough for a Sunday club ride, should you get into it.

OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks for your replies.
I think another consideration is the tire width. I cannot remember what was on my mountain bike - I presume at least 35mm. On the road bike I had 28mm. I understand the 32mm opposed to 28mm on a road bike is much more comfortable (especially at 17st). For this reason, I feel that whatever bike I get I will have 32mm width tires on. No wider due to the rolling resistance but no less due to less comfortable.
So having said this, many road bikes cannot take more than 28mm wide tires. I will want mudguards too. So I expect a road bike is out of the question now.
It looks like it will be a hybrid with some of those clips (thanks mjr), or a CX bike that has a race position of a road bike but robustness and tire clearance for wider tires and mudguards (thanks Alan O).
sweet'pea99 - I was gripping the drop-bars as shown (thanks for the pic) but I just felt it took that bit longer to brake (in gripping hard).
botchjob - just reviewed the Genesis Equilibrium but the drop-bars look the same as those on a Giant bike. What is the difference (if any)?

Last edited:
U

User65906

Hi dac
I am going to look at this tomorrow, its a strong bike with 38mm wide tyres,
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2138-adv-8.9.html

I am 12 and half stone, a good bit lighter than you.
I have a road bike which I get on with no problem on 25mm tyres,
but wanted a stronger bike for rougher roads, I narrowed my choice
down to this bike because it has a strong frame,
it has excellent disk brakes,
I will not be bent in half missing all the scenery riding it,
it has wide but FAST rolling tyres that are supposed to be
very grippy wet or dry, they will wear faster but I would rather
be safe than sorry,
The handle bars are not too far away from me even in the drops,
this is because there is a 70mm stem on the bike,
and if all else fails, I can put a straight bar on it instead of drops,
the bike is also stable and easy handled owing to its geometry
which should enhance the journey.

I may fit narrower tyres, but from what others say narrower tyres on the bike
will not be required, fast rolling tyres make a lot of difference, there are skinny
tyres that are much less efficient than the wide ones on this bike.

People commenting on any bike frame being strong enough for your weight,
I would strongly disagree, I worked in fabrication and engineering using aluminum,
and to put it truthfully, if 17 is no problem on a skinny race bike frame, then why
have the manufacturers not made it even more skinny for their skinny team riders.

I had a voodo agwa hybrid, not expensive, think around 450.00 5 years ago, it was
an excellent bike for a heavier rider, I should not have sold it, but put narrower tyres
on it and kept it, it was heavy for me, but was fast, even with 46 mm tyres,
but its gone, along with my skinny frame Genisis day oo, both alloy bikes, I would have
liked to keep them, but the Genissis speed wobbled once, so not interested in scraping
tar off my skin, and the money will go towards my new ADV from Boardman / Halfords.

One other bike that was on my radar for carrying weight and was not too much of a slouch
either was the steel framed Trek 520, which is designed to carry luggage, so would handle
a certain amount of weight, and be stable which is critical too.
I would be taking the carriers off, but if your commuting then they may be of great advantage.
It comes with mudguards too.
https://www.evanscycles.com/trek-520-2018-touring-bike-EV217045

My riding requirements just suited the ADV more, I want to ride rough roads
and cover as much ground as possible, so I am meeting the ADV in the flesh
tomorrow, all going well, I will have it home with me, if not, I will take the Trek
and strip it down to lighten it.

Hope you find your perfect steed.

Last edited by a moderator:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your replies.
I think another consideration is the tire width. I cannot remember what was on my mountain bike - I presume at least 35mm. On the road bike I had 28mm. I understand the 32mm opposed to 28mm on a road bike is much more comfortable (especially at 17st). For this reason, I feel that whatever bike I get I will have 32mm width tires on. No wider due to the rolling resistance but no less due to less comfortable.
So having said this, many road bikes cannot take more than 28mm wide tires. I will want mudguards too. So I expect a road bike is out of the question now.
It looks like it will be a hybrid with some of those clips (thanks mjr), or a CX bike that has a race position of a road bike but robustness and tire clearance for wider tires and mudguards (thanks Alan O).
sweet'pea99 - I was gripping the drop-bars as shown (thanks for the pic) but I just felt it took that bit longer to brake (in gripping hard).
botchjob - just reviewed the Genesis Equilibrium but the drop-bars look the same as those on a Giant bike. What is the difference (if any)?
Get some crosslever brakes fitted on the bars (not possible with hydraulic discs but you can with mechanical discs or rim brakes). I couldn't live without them personally, more confidence instilling braking in a good position in traffic as you're on the tops. Only slight issue is lack of space on the fairly narrow bar I require for lights and bell but totally manageable

Randy Butternubs

Über Member

'Road bike' is a pretty vague term. Many people use it to mean 'road-racing bike' in which case, yes, you wont be able to fit wide tyres with mudguards. Others use it to refer to anything that isn't a mountain bike.

Many bikes exist that combine fairly light weight and drop handlebars with wide tyres and the ability to fit mudguards and racks. These might be called '(light) touring bikes', 'cyclocross bikes', 'adventure bikes', or 'gravel bikes'.

Top Bottom