what type of gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I was having a nosey at a bike that was parked at our work. It was a Claude Butler Black Diamond. It had gear shifters in the form of pivoted levers on the ends of the drops. It also said on them something like "not compatible with dura-ace". Does anyone know what type of gears these are? I've never seen any like this before.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A mate of mine has these Bar end shifters on his Black Diamond. The chainset is Shimano Deore. Many touring bikes have MTB gearing. Dawes Galaxy's also have bar end shifters as well.

domtyler

Über Member
I use bar end shifters, they are necessary when you have V-Brakes or Canti's with drop bars as standard combination brake/gear levers will only operate callipers.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I use bar end shifters, they are necessary when you have V-Brakes or Canti's with drop bars as standard combination brake/gear levers will only operate callipers.
Ergolevers and Sti brake levers work with cantilevers perfectly well. Otherwise cyclocross would be even more scary. It's only V-brakes that need more 'pull'.

People who choose barend shifters do so because they prefer the built in redundancy and more rugged design of the barend gear shifters.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Thanks for the replies.

I've just realised how very little I understand about levers and brakes.
Canti-lever, v-brake, ergolevers and sti's...haven't a clue what they are.

It's Sheldon Brown time...

Top Bottom