What tyres please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use my Orange Clockwork the most of my bikes, and go along the Transpennine Trail as part of my volunteer ranger role. Last week I went along the trail for part of my route to a local cafe, meeting some other cyclists. I'd pumped up the rear tyre the day before so I knew there was plenty of air but when I came to return my rear tyre was flat. I found a great big pointy bit of gravel. The tyres are Bontrager 1.75 with a centre 'run' and chunky bits at the side. The bike shop said they've plenty life in them yet but I feel if I start getting stuff in them it's time to replace.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for the Schwalbe Marathon Plus or a Continental tyre. Would Mr Campfire be able to get the Schwalbe on the rims, as I believe they're difficult? He usually manages to repair punctures although he had trouble with a Marathon on my Birdy. Any ideas please? I've seen some Marathon Pluses on Ebay at a much more competitive price than my LBS so obviously will have to fit them at home!

I want either 1.75 or 1.5. I do have to go through areas where yoofs chuck bottles around too, in order to get many places I'm going to. Thanks.

Top Bottom