What wheels do I need??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leojameselliot

Hi there,

I'm a cyclist in Manchester and have been using my bike to cycle to and from work every day for about 5 years. My wheels are pretty knackered and I want to replace them. I recently bought a new set of tires, so I don't need those but after replacing I found that the ride is still really tough and I'm assuming that that's because the wheels are so done in (when I spin them around, it's pretty clear that they are no longer what you might call 'round'!

I can't find my bike online but it's a Revolution Cross Sport from Edinburgh Cyles - I think mine is the 2010 model. Their current one is here:
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-cross-15?bct=browse/bicycles/cyclocross-bikes
Is it possible from this to work out exactly what kind of wheels I need? I'd be very happy with a near replacement, if that's possible or with something much better if that's what people recommend.

When looking online, they talk about hubs and all that sort of thing and I basically have no idea what they are on about. If it is at all possible, I'd like to buy a new set that I can simply put on to the bike with my new tires and it will work out.

If anyone also has suggestions on where to get this sort of thing without breaking the bank then I'd be grateful, although I can certainly try and figure that out myself once I have a clearer idea of what I'm after.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone that can help!

Leo

MikeW-71

Veteran
Unless the brake track on the wheels has worn out, they just need to be trued to get them back into shape. If the hub bearings are also worn out then they could be replaced, or go for a new wheelset.

If they are being used for commuting, then toughness wins over super-lightweight, so you don't have to spend a fortune. Something like the Shimano R501's would probably do fine, or something like this:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing-7-lg-alloy-clincher-wheelset/

S.Giles

This could just be me being an old cynic, but (following the above link) does it seem that wheel manufacturers are desperate to include as many novelties and gimmicks in their designs as possible?

S.Giles

To my (admittedly untrained) eye, the wheels we were discussing in that thread don't look as strange as the ones in the above Wiggle link (ignoring the fact that the spokes apparently weren't tensioned in the E-bay wheels). Both come from the 'strange' end of the wheel spectrum, though!

I'm not addressing the question asked in the OP, so I'll get off my soapbox now!

winjim

Smash the cistern
To my (admittedly untrained) eye, the wheels we were discussing in that thread don't look as strange as the ones in the above Wiggle link (ignoring the fact that the spokes apparently weren't tensioned in the E-bay wheels). Both come from the 'strange' end of the wheel spectrum, though!

I'm not addressing the question asked in the OP, so I'll get off my soapbox now!
I was referencing @Yellow Saddle 's humerous take on the marketing BS you describe, rather than the wheels themselves :okay:.

I also, shall leave this thread to those actually discussing the wheels! Derail over.

OP
OP
L

leojameselliot

Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for your helpful (and super fast) reply. I've bought some R501s, which I was able to talk my local Bike Store (Edinburgh Cycles) into giving them to me for £64 to match the internet prices (rather than the £130 that they priced them at!), so I'm super happy with that.

Thanks all - this is always the best place to get quick and helpful advice.

Leo

Top Bottom