What Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Can i get for my hybrid that will take a 7 speed cassette - current wheels have a screw on freewheel

so i have bought a 7 speed cassette and now lookig for wheels to use it on

Cheers

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You need to measure the width of the distance between the rear dropouts. I shall assume the cassette you bought is Shimano compatible; and I shall assume you want to retain the same rim size, else you might have to change your brakes.

If it is 135mm which is likely, you need a rear wheel with a Shimano compatible mtb hub. If it is 130mm, you need a rear wheel with a Shimano compatible road hub. Either way you need a 3mm spacer since modern hubs are 8/9/10 speed and are wider than what they used for 7 speed cassettes. 7 speed freehubs are no longer made.

If it is 126mm, options depend on whether your frame is steel or alloy.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Spa e.g. sells handbuilt ones from this to this. Just make sure the rims are 700c, and have braking surface if you have rim brakes; and the hubs* are typical mtb standard, and centrelock/6-bolt disc compatible if you have disc brakes. You will need the 3mm spacer if you haven't go it already. You can use disc hubs on wheels for rim brakes, or rim brake rims on disc wheels.

* there is no dimensional difference between typical road and mtb front hubs

Top Bottom