What winter training are you currently doing and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Just interested to see what people's goals on the bike are for 2013, and what you're doing about it?
This year I've decided to throw the concept of long winter base miles out of the window because with this weather, they never get done. Lots of turbo sessions (typically two days on, one day off) working on threshold and aerobic power. My main aim is cat 2 and a crit/road race win. What have you been up to?

Peteaud

Veteran
Training for a pie eating contest at the moment by the looks of it.

Goals for 2013:-
do a 100 miler

Training = none

Why = CBA :whistle:

I just can't get motivated what so ever to go out at the moment.

Combination of shocking weather, over indulgence and the come down after a busy year on the bike, (for me at least) I think.

Hopefully the New Year will shepherd in some new motivation for me.

defy-one

Lots of treadmill walking/running as the weather is pants. Get out on the bike when i can, next year ......

Metric 100
More commuting days (40+ mile round trip)
100 miles
More forum rides
Stay safe
Stay healthy

Training: Most days when time allows, Rowing M/C, 30km routes on the Turbo

2013 Goals/would like to do

LEL 2013 (probably/hopefully/with a bit of luck)
Touring, length of France (Holidays permitting)
Spend some time in the Alps (As above)

More Forum rides
More Audaxing

carolonabike

I've entered my first race next year, a duathlon :hyper: . So I'm in training once my cold goes away. Endurance wise I'm fine but I'm not exactly speedy gonzales. So, I've been attending Mr Carol on a bike's weekly turbo training session which he runs for our triathlon club which should make me faster, fingers crossed. As far as running is concerned I need to get back to running three times a week and ...just go faster. How hard can it be :laugh:.
If I like the duathlon, I might think about starting to swim again..... who knows I may give a triathlon a go. Although I think I would draw the line at open water swimming.
And for all those posters who worry about being too old and starting too late, I'm 52. I'm pacing myself, eventually I'll start winning my category because I'll be the only one in it :laugh:

amaferanga

Veteran
Just interested to see what people's goals on the bike are for 2013, and what you're doing about it?
This year I've decided to throw the concept of long winter base miles out of the window because with this weather, they never get done. Lots of turbo sessions (typically two days on, one day off) working on threshold and aerobic power. My main aim is cat 2 and a crit/road race win. What have you been up to?

Don't forget a longer (>3 hours) ride at least every couple of weeks.

Getting 2nd Cat will be easier than a win unless you have a good sprint/kick and a bit of luck. I got my 2nd Cat quite easily in 2011, but still chasing that elusive win.

My winter training at the moment consists of 3-5 turbo sessions a week, either L4 or SST (2x20, 1x60, 3x20, etc.), some brisk 1-2 hour road rides and a longer ride or two at the weekend if I have time.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I just make the most of daylight according to weather and work commitments. At the moment, I ride about 20 miles each time I go out ( maybe 2 or 3 times a week if weather dry)

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'll be commuting 50 miles p/w and doing a 50-60 mile ride every Saturday, with as many hills as I can fit in. Once spring comes and the the days get longer, I'll start doing my 20 mile TT course on Thursday nights to work on speed.

My main aim for 2013 is to lose four stone. I have a couple of big rides planned which take in Crawleyside Bank, Bilsmoor and the Ryals and I won't get up hills like those in my current well-insulated state.

Garz

Squat Member
What winter training are you currently doing and why?
Currently none. Due to being busy with my 7 month old baby girl, horrible winter weather and now over the pond visiting the family till early Jan.

I plan to begin the torture of training soon, albeit about a stone heavier than I was back in October.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
No different to normal, except slightly shorter on a Saturday am.

That means 3-5 commuting days (20+ miles each day), Saturday approx. 45 miles.

Added to that is the triathlon prep; 2-3 runs a week with swimming starting 1-2 times a week.

Getting 2nd Cat will be easier than a win unless you have a good sprint/kick and a bit of luck. I got my 2nd Cat quite easily in 2011, but still chasing that elusive win..

That's fair comment. I have got close to both a few times and I know a couple of people have have gone up to 2nd cat for next season without a win this year. Last season was particularly frustrating for me from a points perspective though, with countless numbers of top 15 placings, but only four finishes in the top ten. Some of that was luck, some was performance-related, and some was just down to stupidity... :smile:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Don't forget a longer (>3 hours) ride at least every couple of weeks.

Getting 2nd Cat will be easier than a win unless you have a good sprint/kick and a bit of luck. I got my 2nd Cat quite easily in 2011, but still chasing that elusive win.

My winter training at the moment consists of 3-5 turbo sessions a week, either L4 or SST (2x20, 1x60, 3x20, etc.), some brisk 1-2 hour road rides and a longer ride or two at the weekend if I have time.

Longer rides with the club run - I'm pretty time restrained right now, but 60-80 miles once a week is also on the cards. I'm confident of 2nd cat, just a matter of racing enough.... I finish pretty well and can negotiate the bunch sprints alright, so just need to cross my fingers - only issue is my little brother is racing the seniors now, and his sprint is pretty phenomenal...it'll be hard to beat him unless we trade lead out duties!

Might as well throw a sub 23.30 TT in there, that would be nice. I'd struggle with keeping going on a turbo for an hour straight at the same tempo, good effort! - other than that sounds pretty similar to what I am doing but with more emphasis on longer intervals

Top Bottom