What would attract you to a sportive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
The Fred Whitton challenge has got Wrynose & Hardknott (plus some), the Bealach na Ba has the big pass (even if the peninsula which follows is more energy sapping), Etape Caledonia has closed roads. I suppose all the big sportives need to make use of the best features of the area in which they're held.

So, would you be more likely to go to a sportive if it was not too difficult (the idea being to attract cyclists with a broad range of abilities), or a sportive that was more challenging than your usual rides? maybe longer, more hills, a combination of both.

My own opinion is that it needs to be something out of the ordinary (i.e. something difficult that's a bit of a target), but would like to hear some opinions.

Thanks.

Michael

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
At the moment I'm just trying to get the wife into riding sportives. She doesn't ride often enough (yet) to contemplate something too arduous.

There seems to be a decided shortage of reasonably priced, "medium" routes on offer for easing people into the scene - most events seem to be marketed as being harder, longer and steeper than their competitors.

Charity rides seem to have this covered, but it's a completely different vibe.

jimboalee

From what I can see, organisers of Sportives deliberately put the route up the steepest hills in the area.
Some like that as a challenge.

No guessing what happens. Participants go on internet forums and debate the necessity for a 'triple or Compact'.

Take a look in the bike shop. The roadrace bikes have 53/39 sets with 11 - 23 rear ends.

A customer with a bit of a belly walks in the shop and asks for a road bike with a Compact.
"He's entered a Sportive" thinks the salesman.

Have a look at some of the Cat 4 and Cat 3 Roadrace courses that Clubs set for their events. You might find one or two with a hill steeper than 10%.
Steeper hills are reserved for 'Hill climb' events, Cat 2, Cat 1 and Elite, not a bunch of weekend wannabees.

Serious owners of light road bikes will be riding with their club A ride or competing in a BCF roadrace, NOT on a Sportive.

What would attract me to a Sportive?

No hill steeper than 10% so everyone can keep a competative racing pace, form a paceline and keep the bunch together up the hills as well as on the flats and rolling countryside.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
a guarantee that the other riders had even the most basic competance of/experience in group riding

a guarantee that some token attention will be paid the highway code and common courtesy for at least some of the time

an honest acknowledgement in the absence of the above that it is, in fact, a race in all but name so anything really does go

...and beer

...and cake

can we not have the men outnumbered by the women 5 to 1 but every woman gotta have the best arse in the world... nothin hides pain and makes you keep up than when following a hottie in lycra shorts!!!! lol...

jimboalee

On the Silverstone 50 miler, there were a handful of veterans who finished in over five hours.

This makes me want to enter on my 20" shopping bike. That bike's done 50 miles at an 11.5 mph average with a stop at Fred Williams Cycles to buy some kit.

The organisers will know I'm taking the piss.

Is it worth blowing £25 entry and the fuel to transport the bike to the venue....?

Nope, not a chance.

PS I wouldn't be bothered by inexperienced riders weaving all over the road while drinking from their bottles,,,, :becool:

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
1. Not overpriced.

2. Delivery on what the promise.

3. Sensible routes (eg. not down dual carriageways or along cart tracks).

4. No feeling of being shortchanged.

Otherwise I shall stick with audaxes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
1,Al;ternative routes to meet different abilities, ideally set out so someone struggling on a longer route can divert onto a shorter one rather than give up.

2,All or a large chunk of the profits going to charities.

3,One that coincides with a day off on my work rota :-)

4,Well managed signposting ,feedstations,signing on etc etc.

5,Scenic route mostly on quiet roads.

koro

Banjo said:
1,Al;ternative routes to meet different abilities, ideally set out so someone struggling on a longer route can divert onto a shorter one rather than give up.

2,All or a large chunk of the profits going to charities.

3,One that coincides with a day off on my work rota :-)

4,Well managed signposting ,feedstations,signing on etc etc.

5,Scenic route mostly on quiet roads.

Lol, seems like I am blowing up Banjo`s backside, but couldn`t of put it any better myself...

Top Bottom