What would it take

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To get a fixed gear / ss ride together? I have tried before with very limited success [thank you Tony] about the same time last year. My warped reasoning was that all the single speeds would be being dragged out for the winter
thumbsup.png

Anyway, we have moved to a very scenic part of the country close to Rutland Water and would be happy to lead out a ride into some really stunning countryside. I've been off the bike for 7 weeks due to an injury and am just getting my legs back. Since being on the forum I haven't really seen any other rides of this kind apart from Fossy's which we went up and did, and very enjoyable too.
The idea would be out on a saturday or sunday mid-morning, cafe stop, then back to ours for tea and cakes.
Feedback please.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd be interested in coming along, if only to ride on smooth roads. I'd be after knowing: when, where, nearest train station and what sorts of cake you'll be serving.
Bit short of time for this year now but I would definitely make the effort if it was possible to get there.

jay clock

Massive member
I live miles away, but if you just said any bike I think it might widen the appeal. My guess is that no more than 10% of CCers have a fixed/ss so you need to try and find the 10% who are anywhere near you.

Good luck

I hear what you are saying but with upwards of 13,000 members??? I guess there must be a fair amount of people who perhaps ride their bikes out of necessity like some of the commuters but maybe don't ride for pleasure? Is it also possible that there are a lot of beginners on here, and dare I say it some who don't even ride?
Still don't get it though, I see others organising rides and there are pages of replies but when it comes to actually doing the ride, relatively few turn up.
I will happily open it up to all types of bike but you will be riding at fixed gear speed! [not very fast].
Aiming at weekend 27th/28th Nov or the weekend after.

jay clock

Massive member
If there are 13000 CCers, lets assume 2500 in Wales/Scotland/NI etc. That leaves 10000 in England. That is approx 200 per each of 50 (ish) counties. Let's assume 75% of them live in your county and within a close enough distance to be inclined to meet up with you. 150 of them. If 10% have a fixed/SS bike, you have 15 to work from. Who need to have read an email with a title that does not say clearly what you plan. Or even mention your plan. And they need to be the sort of person who has the personality/inclination to want to meet up with others (they may already be in a club, or may just be shy etc)

So inviting all bikes would be a great change

Why not repost saying "CC ride in Rutland on [date]. Who's interested?

I am still not coming though! I do have a singlespeed but live miles away!

Best of luck

Jay

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Jayclock speaketh the sense.
Start a thread that details where, when, approx distance and number of cafe stops and see what you get.
I may well be up for that. Probably won't have a SS together in time, but meh. I can always use the Brommie and not change gear...

Thanks for the replies, I don't think this area is a fertile hunting ground for whatever reasons, I always think it's good to meet others from the forum but I think it's just too much effort. Think I will just stick with the club runs which are always good to go on. Nice slow average speed of 16 - 17mph which I appreciate is a bit tame for many on here but it is on fixed and can be seriously lumpy.
Might pose the question on the cafe as to how many are in clubs, or maybe in commuting?

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Thanks for the replies, I don't think this area is a fertile hunting ground for whatever reasons, I always think it's good to meet others from the forum but I think it's just too much effort. Think I will just stick with the club runs which are always good to go on. Nice slow average speed of 16 - 17mph which I appreciate is a bit tame for many on here but it is on fixed and can be seriously lumpy.
Might pose the question on the cafe as to how many are in clubs, or maybe in commuting?

TF Just seen this I'm not too far away in Bourne, come the warmer weather of Spring I'd be up for a ride....PS that 16-17mph is my average commuting speed so on the limit for me!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Steve I would be up for this again but like Vikeonabike spring would suit me better :sun:

Tony

Top Bottom