What would make disc brakes grab ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

On my rescued from the scrap man recycled MTB I'm having a little bit of trouble with the front Disc brake, When you apply it it tends to grab quite badly , I've rounded off the front leading edge of the pads but this has had no affect, What else could I look for ?

Thanks all

brake.jpg

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A new caliper and pads is the answer and make sure it's a reasonable quality one. TRP Spyre ane good and most anything Shimano should be fine. Have a look on eBay. I'm assuming they are cable activated.
If it was put out for the scrap sounds like it's a cheap BSO (bicycle shaped object). Cheap disc brakes hardly ever function well, you're better off with more reliable V rim brakes. You might consider it's not worthwhile spending on it, it's your call.
Any chance of a few pics of the bike?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Funding "new caliper and pads" for a 'rescued from scrap man' bike (which looks very tidy) seems totally disproportionate, and does not actually address the OP's Q.
Remove pads and sand them off (assume they have life left).
Cap the cable.

Reactions: C R

All uphill

Still rolling along
Tektro IO brakes got decent reviews so I wouldn't be in a hurry to replace them.

Maybe remove and clean calipers and replace pads. Check cables are moving freely. Clean discs before replacing.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So not so much a BSO then and worth knocking into shape.
I've a few bikes with Tektro discs and are not wonderful but should be able to provide reasonable stopping.
As said first replace the pads and replace the cables greasing them.

Top Bottom