what would you do here

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

(hope the links work) cycling home tonight.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.17...WkeviOoHPuFE2rArjlkbkw&cbp=12,192.45,,0,21.93

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=53.17...N1Uo-7a6H4_CDC7S30R3jg&cbp=12,192.81,,0,20.01

in the left hand lane. going to the second exit.left hand lane is for both. well before the traffice lights i move over to the right, no cars behind me. so that i am riding right next to the white line and taking the lane to stop people cutting in. once at the point in the second link (lane splits into 2 so im already on the far right of the left hand lane which makes it obvious where i'm going as the other lane is only for the third / fourth junctions (clearly signed posted and road markings).

a driver overtakes me in the other lane then cuts back in, essentially across 2 lanes. i shout as i was only millimeteres from being hit. he stops the car and starts throwing abuse and threatening to hit me etc. and said i should be indicating. my opinion is that i dont need to indicate here as ive took the lane and im not switching lanes just continuing in the one im already in.

just wanted to know what the experienced commuters think.

might be the case that technically i dont need to indicate but should for safety

(Cant remember if ive already posted about another incident at this junction so sorry if i have :biggrin: )

Pauluk

No I wouldn't signal. What are you going to signal? A right turn signal to me, if I were behind you, would mean that you wanted to cross into the right most lane not stay in the lane you were in. A left hand signal would mean you were signalling too prematurely to leave at the next exit or wanted to jump back onto the previous road if you hadn't got too far.

If I'm reading the images and your description correctly the guys a dick head by the sound of it and was just using the signal thing because he had nothing else to argue about. Tw*t

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

dont think he expected me to stand up to him so he sat back in his car shouting. scary moment, was doing 20mph according to strava in wet conditions and clipped in. if i had gone down it would have been a hard one. dont really get mad when riding and try to shrug incidents off but this guy got my blood boiling

boydj

Legendary Member
It's amazing the number of drivers who think cyclists should execute all manoeuvres at the last moment, from a starting point in the gutter. I've recently had discussions on this point with two different taxi drivers when taking the lane in preparation for a right turn.

Hector

Strictly speaking you should signal as you are changing direction fro the road that you were originally riding on.

That's not to say that you need to signal, I find the way I look behind and my position dictates where I am and where I want to go, and the pinnacle of defensive riding is your position followed very closely by what is around you.

Hector

Strictly speaking you should signal as you are changing direction fro the road that you were originally riding on.

That's not to say that you need to signal, I find the way I look behind and my position dictates where I am and where I want to go, and the pinnacle of defensive riding is your position followed very closely by what is around you.

OP
OP
stephen.rooke

stephen.rooke

im not though, those 2 lanes come from the one lane and im already to the far right of that lane i am not changing lanes it is a continuation of the lane i am already in. he was in the right hand lane,(right turn only and turned left). if i indicated right it would make people think im turning right and cause traffic in the other lane to slow down and causing them a hazard.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
You ought to try this one:
link
Travelling in the nearside lane, but wanting to be in the middle lane at the roundabout. Rush hour traffics pretty steady, about 15-20mph. At least 50 yards before the lane splits I'm in at the RHS of the lane, regularly doing massive shoulder checks. To indicate my intention as much as see whats around. You'd be amazed how many drivers think their route is straight through me

Top Bottom