What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
Giant Defy 3 2015 from Rutland cycles £399
(Sora)

Or

Orbea H50 Avant 2015 from Local Bike Shop £399
(Claris)

Would being able to test ride the bike and have it set up and serviced by the LBS (and iron out any problems), outweigh the higher spec and name on the Giant?

ScotiaLass

Guru
Tough one!
I think I'd opt for local as, as you stated, the set-up, servicing etc would be useful.
My LBS give me a 10% discount on servicing/repairs etc as I bought from them. It's good to get to know your local LBS, especially if they give good customer service. I know in this financial climate we all want to save a few pounds, but sometimes the service outweighs that

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem is, very few people who've spent hundreds of pounds on a bike theyve not test ridden would then admit that it's not the optimum. I've done it and regretted it with my Spesh Carve, thick end of a grand on a machine that just didn't suit me.

Id woudn't spend 400 sniffs on a car without driving it, and the same is true for a bike. The Giant is a highly popular machine with almost universally excellent reviews, but it's still a risk to buy one untested - how do you know it will suit you better than the alternative?

The Giant is probably a reasonable risk, but not without risk. I'd be inclined to keep the shortlist to bikes I can actually cock my leg over prior to handing over my green.

Mrs M

Guru
I once chose a mountain bike online.
Thought it was just what I wanted.
Managed to find it at a bike shop 50 miles away so went to buy it there.
Soon as I sat on it I thought no, just didn't feel right so bought something else.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Personally - I would have a day trip to Rutland to try out the Defy and get some fresh air. I have a Defy 3 from Rutland as my winter bike and I cannot fault it at all.

edit - if you want to be a real so and so, just test out a local Defy and then order online saving yourself a journey.

Rutland Cycles have a shop at Grafham Water which is within an hour of Milton Keynes.

Graham

Mike!

Guru
Go and try the Orbea, plenty have them in my club and are happy.

If it looks right, feels right and you like it buy it. Good local support is worth it's weight in gold! (assuming the LBS is good!)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I'd take Sora over Claris, and I do like the Defy. Is there not a local Giant dealer who might be able to give you a price near to that of Rutland Cycles and let you sit on one & check the sizing ?

Top Bottom