What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

I'm quite fortunate on my commute. Although it runs along a very busy stretch of the A3090 I get into very few confrontations with drivers. The vast majority are patient, will hold back when not safe to overtake and will give plenty of room when they do. It's about two years since anything occurred that was worth mentioning to someone else, even in passing.

Yesterday on my commute home a van overtook very close, and the passenger yelled out the window at me ("w@nker!") at an attempt, I guess, to make me fall off.

I didn't get the number plate alas, but they were in a company vehicle, emblazoned with the name of the business they work for. The business isn't local, so I think it would be relatively easy to find out who was in the area at that time.

So... what do I do? My gut reaction is to take it up with the business, but I've discovered they are a very small outfit. The van occupants might even be the only people in it. I have no qualms in taking the issue up with the driver and passenger directly (if you've never made any enemies, you've never stood up for anything) but these guys are evidently not the sharpest tools in the box, and I wouldn't want to make things worse for the next cyclist they come across.

Ideas please?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Send a letter/email of complaint to the business, and report it to your local plod. I know you don't have a number, but you can at least try and give them the company name and see if they do anything.

I understand your fear about making it worse, but these tossers have already proved themselves capable of being self-gratification artists. I don't think you canmake it much worse, unless they cross a line into deliberate assault, and I think if they are that bad, they'll end up doing it anyway sometime.

That all said, I've never bothered to report anything - perhaps never had anything so bad that I felt it warrented more than a swear word and a 'tosser!' signal. I tend to take mental retribution and let it go.... Not very noble, I know.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd follow up with the company but avoid ranting and banging on about rights and wrongs. I'd play on the human aspect, how seriously you could have been hurt and the impact to your family and friends. Even say that you were scared, anything that makes them think about the possibilities in real terms rather than generalities. I've found that this tack can get through to even the most dense of people.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
This happened to me, I managed to catch the number of the business, so i phoned them to complain. They denied having any vehicles in my area on that day. They also said unless there were witnesses to the incidents they would investigate it no further, and wouldn't take any action.

So, a totally pointless experience for me.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Thanks - sending them a letter now. I should have said - they have a web address, but no telephone number published that I can find, or obvious email addy.

I had to go to Companies House to get the postal address.

eddiemee

I would definitely suggest writing a polite but firm letter. You're highly unlikely to get an apology as that might be seen as implying guilt on their part, but if it leads to the driver (assuming the company can identify who it was) getting a talking to then perhaps he will take more care in future. It may be a complete waste of time, but on the other hand if you don't complain at all then he's likely to continue driving dangerously close to cyclists.

purplepolly

Kaipaith said:
these guys are evidently not the sharpest tools in the box, and I wouldn't want to make things worse for the next cyclist they come across.

You could point out what it might cost them if they do this again and cause an accident

- time spent dealing with police, insurers, court appearances instead of working and earning money
- increased insurance premiums
- possible loss of driving licence and resulting difficulty in continuing working

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

eddiemee said:
on the other hand if you don't complain at all then he's likely to continue driving dangerously close to cyclists.

Oddly enough, it wasn't the driving so close which annoyed me, but the abuse. Don't know why.

Anyway - this is my draft letter. I'll probably pop it in the post tomorrow.

Dear XXXXXX XXXXXX,​
Road incident 24th April
I would appreciate your help in resolving the recent poor public conduct of a member of your staff.​

On Friday 24th April 2009 at 17:25 one of your vehicles passed me dangerously and seemingly intentionally near as I cycled home from work on the A3090 in Hampshire. As he passed, the passenger yelled a very obscene remark (“self-gratification artist”) at me through the open window.

It is patently disgusting that someone would shout anything so rude at another road user (or indeed, at another human being) – it beggars belief that they would do so in a company-liveried vehicle. Rule 147 of the Highway Code explicitly states that we should be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users. This is how I behave on the road, and this is how I expect other people to behave towards me.

To resolve this issue I would expect an indication that this issue will be taken up with your road staff, and I ask that you look into this to ensure that your staff act in a more appropriate way in future. When this matter is resolved I'd also be grateful for a suitable apology.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Yours sincerely,

The problem with incidents of this type is that they boil down to a 'can you prove it?' stance. Without independent witnesses or actual personal injury to prompt an external investigation, it's your word against the van occupants.

You've been wronged. The best you can hope is that the recipient of the letter takes it at face value, investigates and let's you know the outcome. The response (if you get one) may not be the apology or report of other positive action you are expecting though - prepare yourself for that.

Good luck with the letter. I must admit of it was such a small company I would be worried that they wouldn't take this seriously. If you really think they did it with the intent of making you wobble or fall off, then that sounds like assault to me and I would be going straight to the police.

Sure, they wouldn't be able to do anything much, but so long as they promised to pop around and have a 'word' with the driver I'd be happy with that. Most people tend to 'react' to a visit from the police.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Ive decided not to bother sending the letter. Everything I've found out about the company seems to indicate that it is very small - I would be complaining to the very same people who did it, and I can't imagine that will do one iota of difference.

So, a name and shame in case anyone happens to stumble across this post. It was Digital Premises Limited - of digitalpremises.com fame. Rude, obnoxious and downright dangerous driving behaviour, all of it detailed earlier in this thread.

Their website sucks too.

Kaipaith said:
Ive decided not to bother sending the letter. Everything I've found out about the company seems to indicate that it is very small - I would be complaining to the very same people who did it, and I can't imagine that will do one iota of difference.

So, a name and shame in case anyone happens to stumble across this post. It was Digital Premises Limited - of digitalpremises.com fame. Rude, obnoxious and downright dangerous driving behaviour, all of it detailed earlier in this thread.

Their website sucks too.

I really would consider taking this to the police then. If only for the shock of the police turning up and having a chat with them. If they have done this once, they will do it again...

Top Bottom