What would you do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesAC

beanzontoast said:
The problem with incidents of this type is that they boil down to a 'can you prove it?' stance. Without independent witnesses or actual personal injury to prompt an external investigation, it's your word against the van occupants.

You've been wronged. The best you can hope is that the recipient of the letter takes it at face value, investigates and let's you know the outcome. The response (if you get one) may not be the apology or report of other positive action you are expecting though - prepare yourself for that.

You may not get an apology. But the MD/Transport Manager of the firm will be well aware that some of his employees are in the habit of using company vehicles in a crap sort of way. So, even if you never hear from the firm, you can be pretty sure that at least on of their drivers will!!

Crankarm

Guru
From my past experience I would not do anything. Sadly put it down to experience. I firmly believe that looking behind frequently stops this sort of thing. If you have not a had an incident in several years you are doing pretty well!

Firstly I would not bother writing to a company unless it was a very large national or international plc as they will not want their brand or reputation damaged by this sort of behaviour. Senior managers will generally take this very seriously. I would definitely not write to a small company as stated above as the very people who did this may well receive your correspondence with your name and address, something I would not want the perpetrators to discover. If they have cut you up and abused you on the road what more might they do knowing your address? They could at best ignore your letter or you could receive a reply that is frankly shocking and upset you. There are worse things that can happen to you. Put it into perspective and move on. Another incident might not happen for another few years in which case you are one of the few lucky cyclists.

Secondly I would not even bother reporting this to the police as they will say it is your word against theirs and will say anything to avoid having to do anything. Unless you have footage showing them in the act and then admitting the errors of their ways in a full and frank confession the police will do absolutely bugger all. They are useless so I wouldn't even waste my time contacting them.

Last year I was in my car driving home one sunday afternoon and was over taken very dangerously on a blind bend my one of those Sainsburys chilled large vans driving like a bat out of hell. He nearly took the offside front wing of my car off as he pulled back in across me to avoid an on coming car. He then continued to over take a chain of 4 cars with on coming cars approaching a head of him causing the cars he was passing to brake sharply and cars approaching to swerve. He was an accident waiting to happen. I had made a mental note of the registration and got a look at the male driver about 25 yrs old when he came by me. So when I got home about 10 minutes later I called the local Sainsburys where I am sure the vehicle was from and spoke to the assistant manager of the store in Peterborough. She was extremely concerned, helpful, apologetic and grateful that I had called. She took the vehicle details and driver description although she said the registration was all she needed and the time and approximate place of the incident. She told me that they expected their delivery drivers to adhere to a very high standard of driving and courtesy to other road users. She admitted it was an image that delivery companies had been trying to address and that the driver would be spoken to and appropriate action taken if necessary. She did not require my name address or phone number which was good. I asked whether I would find out what the outcome would be? She said whilst she could not comment on what would actually happen to this particular employee in this instance if after investigation this had remotely occurred then the driver would be removed from delivery duties. She said there was recording equipment in the van and when this was viewed if his driving was inappropriate action would be taken and if it was found the driving was dangerous then the employee would be dealt with more appropriately. The manager re-iterated their commitment to dealing with the type of behaviour I had reported and that it was not an image Sainsburys condoned or supported. She thanked me again for reporting it to them. I rang about 4 days later and was told that the individual had been removed from driving duties and that further action was in progress which she could not comment on :angry:.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
magnatom said:
... If only for the shock of the police turning up and having a chat with them...

You're having a laugh Tom. The police won't bother going around and having a word. At best they'll write it down and forget it, but they'll probably just shrug and say there's nothing they can do.

HF2300 said:
You're having a laugh Tom. The police won't bother going around and having a word. At best they'll write it down and forget it, but they'll probably just shrug and say there's nothing they can do.

They might and have done in the past. Camera footage certainly helps, but I know of people who have put in a complaint and the police have popped around with no camera footage to back up. It depends on the policeman who picks it up.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
HF2300 said:

Trouble is the more people say that the less chance that people will report these offenses. When we do file reports and in turn when MPs see a great mass of crimes unsorted (when they are EASILY dealt with) - questions will end up being asked of the Police.

It also helps build up a picture of the roads and how they are used. Use it or lose it springs to mind

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Crankarm said:
From my past experience I would not do anything. Sadly put it down to experience. I firmly believe that looking behind frequently stops this sort of thing. If you have not a had an incident in several years you are doing pretty well!

Firstly I would not bother writing to a company unless it was a very large national or international plc as they will not want their brand or reputation damaged by this sort of behaviour. :tongue:.

Well I had a very positive experience. I had the managing director phone me within 10 mins of my e mail who also got the driver to phone me with a full apology.

Of course it may have helped that they are a supplier of the company I work for :becool:

Crankarm

Guru
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Well I had a very positive experience. I had the managing director phone me within 10 mins of my e mail who also got the driver to phone me with a full apology.

Of course it may have helped that they are a supplier of the company I work for :tongue:

You are so lucky buy a lottery ticket.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Crankarm, I'm having trouble understanding your position. You say don't bother reporting it, but then tell us a story of a time when you did report dangerous driving, and obtained a positive result.

If you do nothing, nothing will change.

If you report dangerous driving, there is a chance (albeit a small one, I agree) that something positive will result - as your own example demonstrates.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hi K,

Sorry, just spotted this one. I was in a similar position to you with an incident a couple of months ago where a courier had cut me up badly and I was lucky to stay on. I ended up speaking to the MD who was very helpful, took it seriously and got back to me (he was not happy with the offender - looks like he was on his mobile). BUT, I had the advantage of footage. In incidents like this it can make all the difference as there's concrete evidence AND some companies are sensitive about the image being sullied across youtube (others don't give a stuff).

I try to avoid the A3090 as it can be a bit of a racetrack, even though its nice and wide. I usually cut through Braishfield if I'm going that way, but it does add to the distance and climbing.

Crankarm

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
Crankarm, I'm having trouble understanding your position. You say don't bother reporting it, but then tell us a story of a time when you did report dangerous driving, and obtained a positive result.

Maybe Uncle Phil you should read my post again. I feel sure that once you have done this your misunderstanding will then evaporate :biggrin:.

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

Bollo said:
I try to avoid the A3090 as it can be a bit of a racetrack, even though its nice and wide. I usually cut through Braishfield if I'm going that way, but it does add to the distance and climbing.

I cut through Braishfield too - this was up at the top near the roundabout. I was starting the return leg back out of Winchester and I hadn't even reached the Braishfield turning.

medals

LOL!
I've just googled digitalpremises.com and the third hit is this thread and the reference to their driving behavior. If I was a potential customer I'd think very carefully before using them. Poetic justice.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
We just need a few more people to mention it on their websites / blogs / Twitter about it to push it up to the top of the search results... ;)

OP
OP
PBancroft

PBancroft

goo_mason said:
We just need a few more people to mention it on their websites / blogs / Twitter about it to push it up to the top of the search results... ;)

Heh - I saw the listing for the URL was high up the list as well. Part of me was hoping that the search for the business name would be as a high a ranking... but it was not to be.

Top Bottom