What would your positioning be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nice one buddha, that's exactly what I do at the moment. LOL, I've been well lazy with respect to hills lately, so have avoided Jewels & Saltbox.

OTOH, I did make it up Stock Hill on fixed without having to stop or walk a few months ago. I felt like a conqueror!!

Mr Pig said:
When I hear a vehicle coming up behind me I swing out a few feet from the position you're in on that road, then back in again. Not when it's right behind you, when it's a good bit back but close enough to see you.

I've never done this, and I can see the merits of the manouvre (?)...think i'll bear tis in mind.....thx for the idea..:blush:

Origamist

Legendary Member
stoatsngroats said:
I've never done this, and I can see the merits of the manouvre (?)...think i'll bear tis in mind.....thx for the idea..:blush:

If you do this, look over your shoulder as well - speed differentials can be hard to judge with only your ears.

Mr Pig

Origamist said:
If you do this, look over your shoulder as well - speed differentials can be hard to judge with only your ears.

Yes, you need to be careful. I does work, I do it every day just about. I keep think about getting a little mirror so that I can see them coming better.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Nothing wrong with your position at all BM.

I too pull out and hold the road when it comes to pinch points and then pull back in after passing. All this is done with a look over the shoulder a signal and leaving plenty of time for motons to actually notice.

yenrod

BentMikey said:
Take a look at this stretch of road, and discuss where you'd ride, and how you'd deal with the traffic:
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&h...338454,0.030727&spn=0.000668,0.00111&t=k&z=20

Here's a video of a bus overtake from Sunday, which was astounding to the oncoming car driver!!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_2wU2FBbPw

Going northbound, it's easy, I'm rarely below 35mph, and usually over 40, so I'll take the whole lane. Southbound, it's steep, and I tend to only just about manage 5-10mph after a hard day's work. My mate takes the pavement, and he's a copper. I can't say I blame him, as it's a pretty intimidating piece of road with a 40 limit and very narrow.

Mike, seriously thats nothing round here/where I am...(with respects)

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
yenrod said:
Mike, seriously thats nothing round here/where I am...(with respects)

Which implies that the video makes it look much more roomy than it was. For me, commuting between Biggin Hill and the West End, that's a "worst overtake in three months" sort of level. Admittedly, at least in this case, the danger was less to me and more to the oncoming traffic.

If you really are getting worse overtakes than that all the time, I would have a close look at your road positioning. I posted this more as a way to double check whether what I'm doing is correct, and it seems to be.

Domestique

Über Member
Bad overtaking by the bus. There looks like a blind summit on the road there as well, which makes it even worse considering there is a good chance the bus driver (prof. driver) has been along that road before.
Write to the bus co and complain, although he did give you plenty of room.

Top Bottom