What Year 531c frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks,

I have a reynolds 531c frame I am still riding with Dawes Response stickers on, with a new bike recently purchased I would like to restore the bike to its original state.

If I posted some pictures can you tell me the year the frame was made and if so what pictures would you need?

Rob

I'm in a similar position with a recently purchased Dawes Stratos.

I haven't started trying to reseasrch mine just yet, but I have researched older bikes in the past.

As well as pictures I'd include any information that is stamped anywhere on the frame, and the location it's stamped in. Also take close up of the lugs as these can often help ID a frame.

I'll be watching the thread to see if anyone comes back with any Dawes resources that may help me too.

Good luck :thumbsup:

HovR

Über Member
If I posted some pictures can you tell me the year the frame was made and if so what pictures would you need?

Rob

Many components on older bikes are date stamped, hubs and brakes being the most common (you may need to dismantle the brake to see it). I've also seen cranks and rear derailleurs be date stamped. If you can find a few of these within one to two years of each other you can be fairly sure of the age of your bike, if the parts are original of course.

Thanks for the advice so far will get some pictures later. I have had the bike for about 15 years and it was second hand when purchased so I would age it at about 15 - 20 years old but do not know how it was when we bought it. I think the original groupset was 300 ex if this helps but will check this afternoon.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Around 90 to 99 according to this.

Firstly sorry for the poor quality pictures battery has gone flat on the camera so I had to resort to a mobile phone. Hopefully these pictures will help, if other areas are needed then shout.

photo_zps7459fee5.jpg

photo3_zps4b0a9b9d.jpg

photo5_zpsacf1fa32.jpg

photo4_zps535f08a3.jpg

photo6_zps7abab9a2.jpg

photo8_zps96df8e8d.jpg

HovR

Über Member
There are a few clues which indicate that the frame is fairly modern (in terms of vintage frames, anyway).

To start with, the under BB cable routing through a plastic cable guide is a more recent development and was previously routed through metal braze-ons, often above the BB. Under chainstay cable routing for the rear derailleur is also a clue, as older bikes tend to (but not always) have the cable routed above the chainstay.

The short rear dropouts are also a major clue - Longer dropouts were more commonly used pre-80's. The semi-sloping fork crown with (if I can see it right) recessed brake mounting is also a strong indicator of the bikes vintage, as older frames tended to use flatter fork crowns with standard non-recessed brake mounting. The braze-on shifter mounts are also fairly indicative of a more modern frame.

Just from that I'd hazard a guess around late 80's, possibly very early 90's if the groupset ties in with this, although towards the 90's unicrown forks were more common over traditional crowned forks.

Some photos of the components may help, although I'd say your best bet is to check older bike catalogues and the components for date stamps.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I must say the fork crown and the top of the seat stays are not what I expected. Could you release the seatpost and see what size it says on it? Should be something like 27.2 or 27.0.

I have pulled out the seat post and cleaned off the muck and the only number I can find reads 25.4, seems somewhat off your 27.2 or 27! Am I even looking at the right number?
With regards to the components I have had the bike and been riding it on and off for the last 15 years and have lost track of which components are original and which have been replaced. I think the hubs are original and the sticker reads "Exage FH-HG50" again, and apologies for the lack of knowledge, I presume this is not the date stamp and where would I find it on the hubs?

Thanks Rob

Top Bottom