What3words geolocation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Why is this remotely better than a grid reference, which works without a phone, and can be read off a map. And if you happen to have a gps or phone, then it still works just fine

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Why is this remotely better than a grid reference, which works without a phone, and can be read off a map. And if you happen to have a gps or phone, then it still works just fine

I don't think any of the alternatives are necessarily claiming to be better than a grid ref but for a lot of people it'll be simpler.
Also, there are many people who don't carry a map (even when they should).

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Problem with grid references is that there are so many grids!

Rarely more than one grid in the same country

OK, two ways of stating lat-long, but anyone out at sea won't be using some bongo three words thing.
And in France, old maps may have the labert grid, but newish ones are GPS compatible, and lat-long or new grid are fine

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't think any of the alternatives are necessarily claiming to be better than a grid ref but for a lot of people it'll be simpler.
Also, there are many people who don't carry a map (even when they should).

Why is it any simpler ? let's say you're a not-too-sophisticated user why is a GPS generated number difficult to say over the phone to the operator. And how is that easier than three words maybe mis-spelled or mis-read.

D

Deleted member 23692

Considering there are two main ways of describing a grid reference in this country and 3+ ways of doing the same with lat and long, anything that makes it easier for the public to locate themselves is a good thing IMO.

I have to deal with reports of 'issues' by the public, and the majority can't give an accurate simple OS grid ref... even those self proclaimed 'experts' are often out. When they get onto lat and long, and don't know what system they're quoting then it's not accurate enough.

What3words can give an accurate location to the size of a room in a house (3x3m) quite simply and accurately. For the vast majority of the great unwashed who only have a phone to give them any idea of where they might be, then IMO it is a great asset. Compare this against a rambler derived OS grid ref which will be a accurate to a 100x100 square, assuming you have a map, romer to hand and a clue about what you're doing.

We're seeing far more instances of locations being given via 3 words and it's quicker and far more accurate and means we're wasting time not going inspect things only to find we've been given duff info. If lives were at stake then I can see why the emergency services are championing it

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If they have their phone then they can send a geolocation easily, there is no need for W3W. Andoid and iOS even include Emergency Location Sharing (ELS).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not everything is an emergency ;)

Even in a non-emergency it is a lot easier to 'long press' on the map to get a location and share it. I can see W3W great for getting a drunk home in a taxi, as long as they can slur the right 3 words or have them tattooed somewhere.

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
I tried out the app in my living room and got three separate grid names. I then asked my butler to to try it in the library and the servants quarters and he concurs. Our house extends over several grid boundaries.
The global grid extends across the oceans as well as land but your grid name will keep changing as your liferaft bobs about in the waves .

D

Deleted member 23692

Two ways - what's the other one then?
There's the OS GB map grid reference based on 100x100km squares which are described by two letters and then suffixed by pairs of 2, 4, 6, 8, etc digits to reference a square of the required accuracy.

SD = 100x100km square
SD 56 = 10x10km square
SD 52 67 = 1x1km square
SD 526 678 = 100x100m square
SD 5264 6785= 10x10m square
SD 52642 67854= 1x1m square

If the two letters are omitted, then same grid ref repeats every 100km... SD 526 678, SE 526 678, TA 526 678 etc

Alternatively the OS GB National grid reference simply uses eastings and northings based on the 'false origin' which is point approx 55 miles due west(ish) of the Scilly Isles (000000 000000). All coordinates are measured directly from this point, and is only ever used with toaccuracy of a 1m squars (and/or parts thereof).

Using the above example of SD 5264 267854 (a 1x1m square), the equivalent OSGBNG is 352642 467854 which is a 1x1m square and unique to that location.

The GIS I use at work is supposedly accurate to 11 decimal places (on a metre), but that far more accuracy than you could probably ever use on the ground.

See, it's confusing :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd never heard of the starting from zero version so every day is a school day.

Still Not sure how a (secret?) algorithm to re-code a well understood system which every gps device (and map) can already support is somehow a benefit mind.

Reactions: mjr
D

Deleted member 23692

I'd never heard of the starting from zero version so every day is a school day.
it's been hiding in plain sight for year :smile:. if you look at the corners of a paper map you'll see the two numbers required to convert that particular sheet.

Those who only ever use edgeless digital maps will never see those .. or get to see and learn the wonders of the map legend ;)

Top Bottom