Whatever happened to Flat Lettuce?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Iceberg....bleugh! xx( Tesco put one in my delivery when i specifically stated on 'substitutions' no iceberg....it went straight in the bin. Every other type of lettuce is ok in supermarkets and not bothered if flat, crinkly, purple or green :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
But have become a fan of the much despised celery the last 2 or three years, so maybe a revelation awaits.
Why is it so good?
i like white celery (fresh bread and cheese) but it all seems to be green and bitter now.

I think it is now known as a butterhead lettuce. Lots of flavour. Problem is, it doesn't keep so unsuitable for modern shopping habits where people go to the supermarket and stock up for the week. Uneconomical for shops to stock them when they are likely to have a lot of wastage. Iceberg has a much longer shelf life.
You can still get them in French supermarkets where people are still more likely to shop little and often.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
In Aldi it's uneconomical to sell iceberg. It's a loss leader. We sell them for less than we buy them 😲

In Aldi it's uneconomical to sell iceberg. It's a loss leader. We sell them for less than we buy them 😲
any more loss leaders?
anything in the beer line?

grldtnr

I need new glasses.....I read Flatulance instead of flat lettuce.....💨
It's the wind of change.
An ill wind you might say......

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm sure iceberg lettuce could be flat too.

All needs is some starch and a run over with the iron. :okay:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
TBH I wouldn't have one if they were giving them away.

I've still got some rocket growing in a pot outside. Just a shame I can't get out to pick it :smile:

Top Bottom