Whatever happened to Flat Lettuce?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I asked this question at work and no one knew what i was on about!

Back in't day, flat lettuce was the standard and iceberg was this exotic (yet tasteless) newbie. These days we have* iceberg, romaine, little gem... but no flat.

*in aldi

Sell us on the benefits of flat lettuce monty.
Must admit when younger never thought much of it.
But have become a fan of the much despised celery the last 2 or three years, so maybe a revelation awaits.
Why is it so good?

midlife

Guru
We grew a heritage lettuce this year that was flat, had sort of purple speckles, reminded me of my mums salads.... dried by flinging stuff around in a tea towel. I'll check on the name.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
You can get it some places. Sometimes known as English lettuce. My budgies like it. As well as nibbling it they bath in a damp leaf :smile:

I have no idea why people buy Iceberg lettuce.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
It got ironed out

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
"I have no idea why people buy Iceberg lettuce."

Texture, that's about it. It does give a crispy crunch to a chicken burger or a prawn cocktail so it has a place, but yeah it's not big on flavour. Romaine lettuce isn't any better on flavour but drown it in Caesar dressing, bacon bits and croutons and my, you have a crunchy, creamy, delicious meal!

I asked this question at work and no one knew what i was on about!

Back in't day, flat lettuce was the standard and iceberg was this exotic (yet tasteless) newbie. These days we have* iceberg, romaine, little gem... but no flat.

*in aldi

Best advice is to romaine calm and keep a cool head about things, its not like its the spinach inquisition.

Top Bottom