Whatever happened to...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Living the dream!
Sometimes they're salmon and cucumber I'll have you know!🧐

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Tinned salmon? xx(
Only smoked will do and it shouldn't be ruined by cucumber
I only eat tinned albeit high quality, not obscure brands. I have bad memories of being forced to eat fresh salmon salads at Heysham Head (near to Morecambe) open air cafe in the late 1960's early 1970's. Horrible tasteless stuff covered in horrible vinaigrette and full of stab you in the throat bones.:ohmy: As for smoked salmon, it's all 'raw' and slimy.xx(

raymondo60

A life behind bars
I remember seeing George Melly with John Chiltons Feetwarmers at New Merlins Cave pub opposite the big Mount Pleasant post office in Islington Sunday lunchtime.
As you say, happy days.
Brought a certain moistness to the eye listening to that again.

View: https://youtu.be/I9kZZZaZ3kE

That was a regular venue for many years. I played there several times during the early 80s. Can't remember the Guvnor's name back then but he was a lovely bloke, real old-school East-end type. Great place and happy memories.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Bull at Barnes used to be fab for jazz saw Chick Corea stand in once there when I was young.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That was a regular venue for many years. I played there several times during the early 80s. Can't remember the Guvnor's name back then but he was a lovely bloke, real old-school East-end type. Great place and happy memories.
Can you remember the names of any other bands who played there?

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Me too. I remember Savoy Brown and Chicken Shack around venues in North and East London.
A mate of mine played blues harp in various bands, still does today at 70+. I'll see if I can find his YouTube videos.
Think I saw Chicken Shack in Camden. Best I ever saw was Stevie Ray Vaughan and B.B King I reckon. Peter Green on the comeback tour and Ichiro a Japanese blues guitarist I worked with were sublime as well.

raymondo60

A life behind bars
Can you remember the names of any other bands who played there?
So I'm talking the 'Mod' revival (sic) of the early 80s. My (inconsequential) band was Sta-Prest - as in the trousers! - and we played Merlins Caves with the Purple Hearts, and Secret Affair I think. Also the Merton Parkas, but that may have been the Dublin Castle. VERY long time ago now.....

Top Bottom