Whats a Ultegra group set worth? Been offered one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_iow

Hi, I have been offered a full ultegra groupset but I am not sure what it is worth. The seller says he has an offer in mind but he wont say and is insistent on sensible offers, however I have no idea. It is a full groupset to include: front mech; rear mech; brake callipers; chain set; chain; brake/gear levers; cables, cassette. It is 10 speed and he also has a set of mavic wheels, although I am unsure which ones. The groupset has only done 300-400 miles according to the seller.

How much should I offer?

Any help for a newbie as I have no idea :sad:

MichaelM

Guru
You can get a brand new groupest (looks like the hidden cables version) with your choice of crank length, cassette, standard/compact for £570, so try half of that (or less if you're any good at haggling).

Well there are different Ultegra groups available, but I would say prices range from 450 to 700 depending on which one.

Best thing is to find out which group it is, then do an interent search for price info.

Crankarm

Guru
I wouldn't offer anything until I'd had a chance to inspect it as it might be totally shagged. Some one's idea of 300-400 miles might turn out to be 3,000 - 4,000 miles with little TLC. Especially the drive chain ......... worn chain rings, chain and cassette.

jimboalee

Tell him to advertise it in the local Tesco Express.

If he gets no takers, offer him a fiver.

I don't like tw*ts who prat about making their spare parts sales a 'guessing game'.

hotmetal

jimboalee said:
Tell him to advertise it in the local Tesco Express.
If he gets no takers, offer him a fiver.
I don't like tw*ts who prat about making their spare parts sales a 'guessing game'.

+1.
Most people who want to sell things usually set a price and then may be open to reasonable offers based on condition, supply&demand, convenience, mates' rates etc. This guy obviously has an idea what it's worth but is hoping someone is going to make a mistake and offer him over the odds. Not exactly a sound business ethic IMO.

Also, if you're not exactly sure which version it is, make double-sure it will actually fit the frame you're thinking of building up.

jamesxyz

+1

If he's a mate he'll let you have it at a decent rate - and should give a price. If he's merely an acquaintence, he's trying to shaft you, especially because if you're having to ask the value on here, he prob suspects you're a bit clueless (no offence meant - you know what I mean).

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid

Top Bottom