Whats comfortable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colan

Im looking for the most comfortable position.
A smaller bike so you get close to the handlebars or a bigger bike so u u get longer to the handlebars?
The distance to the handlebars?

corshamjim

I would imagine a recumbent of some sort would be the most comfortable of all - never tried one myself though.

Personally I find the sit-up-and-beg style bike most comfortable for me - so almost any Dutch Bicycle or Roadster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadster_(bicycle)

Obviously you sacrifice some speed with this style of bike as aerodynamics aren't great.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you're planning on buying new, I would hope any decent shop would allow you to try a few different bikes and you can judge for yourself. A lot depends on what you will be doing with the bike. For a shortish distances at moderate pace, I would say a sit up and beg with a sprung saddle is probably most comfortable. Longer distances would be better with a road or touring bike, you don't want a long a very long reach to the bars, or bars that are too low as it will lead to discomfort after a few miles, I would err on the side of shorter as a longer stem is a possible fix if you feel too cramped.

Top Bottom