What's happened to my trimming? (Campagnolo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just took my front mech off for a clean, and after reinstalling, where there used to be a nice click-click-click trim on the downshift there's now a big ker-thunk and it drops straight down.

Shifters are Campagnolo Xenon QS 10speed. Any ideas?

maltloaf

Adjust the limits then the indexing.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Now sorted I think. Problem was one of cable tension. It seems to need a surprising amount of slack...

maltloaf

I had the same with my shimano tiagra set up, lost the trimming and I had pulled the inner a smidge too tight when refitting

Now sorted I think. Problem was one of cable tension. It seems to need a surprising amount of slack...

If it's a Campagnolo QS FD, correctly set, from inside ring, biggest sprocket, small ring, with 1mm of clearance between the back of the chain and the inside cage plate, to the other extreme, i.e. smallest sprocket, big ring, 1 mm of clearance between the outside of the chain and the outer cage plate of the FD, you should need only 3 clicks.

If you have more, or less, you either don't have the correct FD, or it's set up incorrectly.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK Service Centre

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
If it's a Campagnolo QS FD, correctly set, from inside ring, biggest sprocket, small ring, with 1mm of clearance between the back of the chain and the inside cage plate, to the other extreme, i.e. smallest sprocket, big ring, 1 mm of clearance between the outside of the chain and the outer cage plate of the FD, you should need only 3 clicks.

If you have more, or less, you either don't have the correct FD, or it's set up incorrectly.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK Service Centre
Thanks for your answer Graeme, helpful as always :thumbsup:
Mech is Veloce 10sp and was stock on the bike so should be compatible. I think it's taking four clicks for full movement at the moment; as soon as it stops raining I'll get out and readjust it.

I should have said, BTW, that assumes a Campagnolo chainset as that is *part of* the correct set up - I raise that as you've indicated that the FD was fitted to the bike OE and not all OEs use a full Campagnolo transmission.

Also, it can be dangerous to assume that an OE will have used "the right parts" ... I know of one bicycle manufacturer that used to ship one model with Mirage 9s ErgoPower operating a Shimano 9s rear derailleur on 8s Miche sprockets with a KMC chain. It worked (sort of) when new, went totally to pot when any part of the system gained significant wear and should have caused the factory concerned to hang their head in shame ...

To be clear, as well, you should have "natural position" i.e. the position where the cable is installed, then click 1, moving the FD about 1mm right, then click 2, moving the FD about 3 mm right, then click 3, moving the FD as far right as it ever needs to go ... so achievable in one full sweep on the lever. We don't count the starting position as a "click" ...

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Bike is a stock 2010 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with Xenon rear mech, FSA Vero chainset and Miche cassette.

I think I've confused myself. I think QS isn't supposed to have trimming on the downshift, and what I thought was a trim was the shifter moving back from the too far fourth click position. It's now adjusted to three clicks up, one down and seems to be shifting nicely.

Top Bottom