whats the best stuff to rub on your crotch..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Udderly Smooth. Works on udders too apparently.
http://astore.amazon.co.uk/udderlysmooth-21/detail/B002DR4ISI

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Like bromptonftb:

Cheap large pot of E45 equivalent
Small pot of Sudocreme
Tea tree oil - about 10 drops (less 'tingly')
Witchhazel (but couldn't find it!)

Mix together in a big bowl and put back into the tubs. To make 750ml it cost less than a fiver and works great.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
chili oil.:stop:just kidding......sudocreme or an emolient like Diprobase or Epaderm (these are both available on prescription too)

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

I use nowt , always been fine with decent padded shorts .
Mind you i once sprayed deep heat at my leg and caught the danglies ..... ouch !
I have been using nothing -just good padded shorts, but last few rides are getting longer, and sometimes it feels like my Mary is on fire!!:blush:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
To take this seriously

- the fit of the shorts (or threequarters, or whatever) is important, and, in particular, the fit after a day on the saddle. If they stretch then the chances are they will move, and, in moving, rub. A good brand like Pearl Izumi (I've got two pairs that date from 2005, have done tens of thousands of miles, and still don't stretch in use) will look after your delicate bits.

- the distribution of weight is important. One of the great mantras of the 1970s was that the saddle was there to keep your bum in line - not to bear anything much by way of weight. Most of your weight goes on the pedals, and most of the rest goes on the handlebars. That's easier said than done, because most mortals don't put the kind of force through the pedals that will, in effect, reduce the load on their bums.

- following on from that...happiness is a still bottom. That is to say, if you're rocking from side to side you're almost inevitably rubbing. Getting the saddle at the right height is a start, but, again, (see above), letting your legs and feet take the load rather than your bottom will help you maintain a steady position.

- (the controversial bit). I'm often told off (well, not told off, but not exactly approved of either) for having a slow cadence and standing on hills. Whatever the merits of my cycling style, which is, I accept, open to criticism, I do attribute my peachy-smooth perineum to not putting too much weight on it these last forty years.

And - you do toughen up. Hang in there.

OP
OP
Francesca

Francesca

To take this seriously

- the fit of the shorts (or threequarters, or whatever) is important, and, in particular, the fit after a day on the saddle. If they stretch then the chances are they will move, and, in moving, rub. A good brand like Pearl Izumi (I've got two pairs that date from 2005, have done tens of thousands of miles, and still don't stretch in use) will look after your delicate bits.

- the distribution of weight is important. One of the great mantras of the 1970s was that the saddle was there to keep your bum in line - not to bear anything much by way of weight. Most of your weight goes on the pedals, and most of the rest goes on the handlebars. That's easier said than done, because most mortals don't put the kind of force through the pedals that will, in effect, reduce the load on their bums.

- following on from that...happiness is a still bottom. That is to say, if you're rocking from side to side you're almost inevitably rubbing. Getting the saddle at the right height is a start, but, again, (see above), letting your legs and feet take the load rather than your bottom will help you maintain a steady position.

- (the controversial bit). I'm often told off (well, not told off, but not exactly approved of either) for having a slow cadence and standing on hills. Whatever the merits of my cycling style, which is, I accept, open to criticism, I do attribute my peachy-smooth perineum to not putting too much weight on it these last forty years.

And - you do toughen up. Hang in there.
thanks Dellzeq, will take your advice onboard, and so will Mary:thumbsup:

Mark Beaumont, used Paw Paw or papaya ointment when he crossed Australia, which seems to have done a very quick repair to his bottom sore's, it is sold here in the UK, but I have never used it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Aqueous cream etc are very good. I don't bother unless it's a 100 mile Sportive and you are hammering it. Decent shorts with quality pads work wonders. If you have any abraisions then cream prevents it getting worse. If everything is all hunkey dorey down there, then nothing.

Top Bottom