What's the best way to get a new CH boiler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Green hydrogen depends on electricity for its manufacture being generated in a renewable manner. So it's more likely to have been generated through wind, solar, hydro electric, tide or wave power etc when the greater part of our electricity comes from those sources. Bearing in mind that producing hydrogen from water and liberating oxygen in the process needs a surprising amount of electricity, we have a way to go yet.

1 kg of hydrogen takes 50kW of electric for electrolysis.

95% of current hydrogen production is made by SMR steam methane reforming -ie from fossil fuels

Unless the Tefal heads develop a cheap method of producing hydrogen then it's a waste of valuable electric.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got quoted between £1700 and £4k for the supply and fit of a new combi boiler.

I went to screwfix and bought the boiler for £750 and paid a gas safe plumber £300 to fit it.

I didn't fanny about with the extras or worry about the warranty.

In the end we went with BOXT. What swung it in the end was the difficulty of getting a local fitter at a price that made sense. 'Local' to me is mostly lawyers and tv execs nowadays, and quotes for anything practical tend to the eye-watering. £300, or even £500 and I may have stuck with Plan A - an eBay bargain, fitted, not much north of a grand. But for fitting, even a middling Corgi person quoted £800.

On the day we had two blokes turn up at 7.30, as promised, and they ended up knocking off around 5.30. Didn't look to be slacking any either. So the upshot was around £2300 for the whole thing, within a couple of days. Pretty reasonable, I thought. And they were good to deal with - all feels very professional, properly done. Does what it says on the BOXT. They can have that one free...

Top Bottom