What's the best way to get a new CH boiler?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
most new boilers will be gas /hydrogen mix ready i suspect, especially the bigger named manufacturers. Theres a lot of work being done by BG/Centrica ? with this in mind, many non compatible boilers will just require some modification to become useable.
All that if, if it (hydrogen mix) comes to fruition

But how affect is it to make hydrogen and make it in a green way??

a.twiddler

Veteran
Green hydrogen depends on electricity for its manufacture being generated in a renewable manner. So it's more likely to have been generated through wind, solar, hydro electric, tide or wave power etc when the greater part of our electricity comes from those sources. Bearing in mind that producing hydrogen from water and liberating oxygen in the process needs a surprising amount of electricity, we have a way to go yet.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I can't find the video now about tidal energy production, but it's a bit of a non-starter. Salt water wrecks everything very quickly, and the cost of maintenance vastly outweighs the amount of energy produced.

Here's another one from Tom Scott; I think electricity is the only way to heat water/homes. We just have to think of bigger and better ways to produce it. the complications of harnessing power from tides:

View: https://youtu.be/nCrTsWtPVIY?t=159

I can't find the video now about tidal energy production, but it's a bit of a non-starter. Salt water wrecks everything very quickly, and the cost of maintenance vastly outweighs the amount of energy produced.

Here's another one from Tom Scott; I think electricity is the only way to heat water/homes. We just have to think of bigger and better ways to produce it. the complications of harnessing power from tides:

View: https://youtu.be/nCrTsWtPVIY?t=159

Guy Martin has a program on the C4 player.

Guy Martin's Great British Power Trip or something.

Well worth watching. He's of the opinion that a good mix of power sources is what's needed.

I don't believe that tidal power isn't as dead in the water as you say.
There's a tidal power plant being planned to be built on the Mersey that will be able to power 1 million houses and could be up and running in 10 years or so. Fingers crossed it goes well.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Just had a new Worcester Greenstar boiler fitted in December by a local independent fitter. comes with 10 year warranty as long as it is serviced annually (cost c £60 for that) by an approved Worcester fitter. Guy did a really good job, We did get a couple of quotes for comparison but he had the best local reviews. The model we got is hydrogen ready if it ever comes along

Id go for a baxi over Worcester Bosch. Little bit more expensive but totally bombproof ime.

Worcester Bosch is just a badge on the boiler these days - they aren't what they used to be in terms of longevity

gbb

Legendary Member
But how affect is it to make hydrogen and make it in a green way??

It may come (a green way to produce hydrogen) , it may not. Its seen as a possibility, BG and Centrica have already mooted plans to introduce it, but only the future will let us all know.

Tom B

Guru
I got quoted between £1700 and £4k for the supply and fit of a new combi boiler.

I went to screwfix and bought the boiler for £750 and paid a gas safe plumber £300 to fit it.

I didn't fanny about with the extras or worry about the warranty.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Get some quotes and take it from there , are you not planning on getting it serviced whatsoever ?

BTW not really read any positive views on ASHP which is what the majority of us would have to fit if forced. The greens up here are absolutely rabid in enforcing change regardless!

Get some quotes and take it from there , are you not planning on getting it serviced whatsoever ?

BTW not really read any positive views on ASHP which is what the majority of us would have to fit if forced. The greens up here are absolutely rabid in enforcing change regardless!
If my combi boiler packs up i will be looking to buy another one.
Like you have been reading some really bad stories about heat pumps so i don't want to go anywhere near them.

What's the best way to get a new CH boiler?

I phoned someone out of a 'local pages' I get, its a Baxi Eco Compact. So long as its serviced yearly its guaranteed for 10 years no extra charge other than the service.

I could have done it more DIY, buying my own etc But we were in the middle of that cold period in Dec so I thought it best to just get it done. In the event the plumber was here until 2230 to get it finished, 10/10 job.

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Do you really need a new boiler? Our 32 year-old boiler packed up and any number of suppliers were happy to replace it at ±£2,000. Some of the independents said it sounded like a new pump was needed and quoted £200+ with no guarantees. So I read around the subject and found that the problem was almost certainly a failed capacitor. I bought a capacitor equivalent to the suspect one at a local electrical shop for £3.85 and fitted it myself. The system then worked perfectly for another five years until, still working, we upgraded the entire system with new piping, new radiators and a new boiler. A bit of research can save a lot of money. Steer away from anyone who tells you what you want. You know what you want, and if that's just a question of getting what you have already got to work properly, the solution is unlikely to be complicated.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Do you really need a new boiler? Our 32 year-old boiler packed up and any number of suppliers were happy to replace it at ±£2,000. Some of the independents said it sounded like a new pump was needed and quoted £200+ with no guarantees. So I read around the subject and found that the problem was almost certainly a failed capacitor. I bought a capacitor equivalent to the suspect one at a local electrical shop for £3.85 and fitted it myself. The system then worked perfectly for another five years until, still working, we upgraded the entire system with new piping, new radiators and a new boiler. A bit of research can save a lot of money. Steer away from anyone who tells you what you want. You know what you want, and if that's just a question of getting what you have already got to work properly, the solution is unlikely to be complicated.

Unfortunately for most installers/service engineers they would be fault down to that level now . Could diagnose a faulty pump but circuit board would mean replace the whole thing .

Tenkaykev

Guru
You might find that it’s a cheap easy fix, our Gloworm is now 37 years old and is still working perfectly, it’s a bit like triggers broom but I’m determined not to change it.

Our Gloworm conventional boiler is about 25 years old. We've had the same lady do our annual service for ages, she charged £60 last visit. She takes the front off and uses pipe cleaner like gubbins and paint brush to give it a once over. She also checks the hot water tank and climbs into the loft to check the header tank. The boiler stopped working on Friday evening, I sent her a text message and she came round on Saturday morning, diagnosed the fault, rectified it and when I asked how much I owed said " call it a fiver " I gave her £10. Sometimes it's worth using small local companies and building a relationship.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Id go for a baxi over Worcester Bosch. Little bit more expensive but totally bombproof ime.

Worcester Bosch is just a badge on the boiler these days - they aren't what they used to be in terms of longevity

Kind of agree, as brands mean little to me. Brother got a Worcester Bosch and has been a total piece of crap, could've been in the install in an old property, 2 heat exchangers failed. Maybe unlucky, just a bad one. Had a Baxi in my last house for years and it was no bother at all. The Siemens wireless stat that the installer fitted was complete garbage though. Currently living in a 10 year old Persimmon house now, it is fitted with the cheapest of everything. The boiler has been spot on though, its an Ideal Logic, which after reading seems like it might be a pretty good value item compared to a WB, was expecting it to be garbage, just not as flash looking, in a cupboard so couldn't care less.

My mum's new build was more upmarket and that came with a Baxi, that's about 16 years old and has just had one minor repair.

When I was reading up on it years ago when I got the Baxi fitted in my previous house, at the time read WB were overrated, the best was Vaillant. These were more expensive at the time so got a Baxi. These are all combi boilers.

Top Bottom