What's the cause of this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not having much luck at the moment. After getting one warranty issue semi-resolved, (still in progress but going in the right direction), I've now got a problem with my front wheel.

I bought it brand new so it's under warranty. I only got it last month and it's done about 75 miles. However, since the first use it's had a really annoying 'tinny' rattle over anything but the smoothest surface.

The first use these got was on the Great Manchester Cycle, and TBH I thought it was the timing chip on my race number rattling on the cables, but it's not. Everything is right with the bike, stem bolts, headset etc, and today I swapped the front wheel and hey presto, no noise!

I've emailed the supplier and I don't expect any problems getting it resolved, but I just wondered WTF could be causing it?

The spokes all have good tension, the bearings feel lovely and smooth, it's not out of true at all, I'm baffled.

FWIW the wheel is an Open Pro rim on a Hope Pro3 hub.

Anyone got any ideas?

Its likely to be a bit of swarf or even a lost nipple loose inside the rim cavity.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
That caught me out once. Was on a long ride and was getting very peeved at a small rattle. Just couldn't work out what it was. Driving me bloody nuts. Traced it to the little lock nut on the valve not being tight enough.
Mmm, I'll double check but I do check my tyre pressures before every ride and I always tend to nip the lock ring up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

screenman

Legendary Member
How are the wheels spoked, if they cross over then a quick spray of WD40 or suchlike on that area would isolate the noise for a while.

Top Bottom