what's the difference between Fulcrum Racing 5 and 7 wheelsets?

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by e-rider, 26 Apr 2010.

1. e-rider

e-rider crappy member

As title - I know the Racing 5s cost £60 more than the 7s but what are the main differences?

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Weight is a fairly noticable difference

Upgrade from 7 to 5 gives you a saving of 80g front and 90g rear. Total saving 170g.

This is despite a higher spoke count on the 5's vs the 7's, more spokes hence a potentially stiffer wheel.

Note: The above is based on the sales patter on their website!

3. OP
    OP
    e-rider

e-rider crappy member

I just looked on the web and they both have the same number of spokes - 20 front; 24 rear. The 5s are lighter than the 7s though, as you say.

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

This is where I found the info on different spoke counts. Taken from Fulcrums site

Fulcrum Racing 7:
    Fulcrum Racing 5:

5. adscrim

adscrim Veteran

Merlin cycles are selling fulcrum 5 evo's for £150. An absolute bargain in my opinion. (and the 7's for £120)

6. OP
    OP
    e-rider

e-rider crappy member

I'm curious to know if they really have 27 spokes in the rear wheel. I've never seen wheels with an odd number of spokes before.

7. PpPete

PpPete Guru

I have heard of 27 spoke before, and first thought WTF.... surely the number must be divisble by 4 - or at the very least even. But reading the blurb suggests these would have 18 drive side, 9 non-drive side.
    I suppose it makes some kind of sense....but not for me.

8. stephec

stephec Legendary Member

I had a pair of sevens a few years ago ,they felt heavy and dead. A pair of handbuilts with open pro rims felt a lot better, as did some Mavic Aksiums.

9. The Fulcrum Racing 5 was available uptil 2006, was replaced by the Racing 5 Evo in 2007.

The original Racing 5's had 24 spokes on the front wheel and 27 on the rear, round J-shape double-butted spokes, radial at the front, and with 18 2-cross on the drive side of the rear and 9 radial on the non-drive side.

The Racing 5 Evo's have totally different hubs and rims, aero profile flat spokes, now 20 spokes on the front again radial, now with 16 2-cross on the drive side of the rear and 8 radial on the non-drive side.

The Racing 7's came out later in 2007 and actually look very similar to the original 5's - 20 & 24 spokes front & rear, but round J-shape spokes and the hub design is the same.

Go into the tech docs section of the Fulcrum website and you'll find exploded views - the 7's are like the original 5's, the 5 Evo's are more like the 3's.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice