What's the most painful bit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
Back on the fixed after a lay off (sore knee). Got fed up spending out for repairs inflicted on a decent road bike by the roads so thought I'd dust off the fixed.
I was concerned my knee might hurt. Not a bit of it but my undercarriage has taken the return to fixed very badly. Tender ain't the word.
My fingers are also freezing in this weather without any gear change action.

I'm loving it though.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must try fixed next project

3narf

For whom the bell dings
The most painful bit riding fixed, I found, was my backside.

You can't freewheel for a couple of strokes to adjust your position on the seat.

Bicycle

The most painful bit about riding fixed?

Well, for a start the bloody freewheel doesn't work, so I'm pedalling like speeded-up Charlie Chaplin footage the whole time. Not cool.

Also, I was so keen to get the 'look' right that I didn't fit any Ergo Levers... Result? I'm stuck in the same gear all the time...

Further to the above, I chopped the handlebars into cheapo bullhorns. Not one single comfortable position for my hands!

But the most uncomfortable thing? Brain shake from getting a noddy head when descending at speed.:hyper:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A smooth pedalling technique solves backside soreness and head bounce. Practice makes a smooth pedalling technique. Practice may hurt at first. My fixed is set up as close as poss to the touring/audax bike.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I found that the most painful (and embarassing) thing to happen with a fixed gear bike is when you are walking with it, and some how the stars align, and so does your clipless pedal and your cleat, and a magical moment occurs when your right shoe clip in to your left pedal, resulting in a moment of maddening strangenes, followed by a tumble which no one around you will ever understand.

I have suffered as a result of poor handlebar choice, allowing me 3-4 initially comfy positions which all rapidly become completely intolerable. This has ruined many otherwise enjoyable rides, when I have literally no way of holding on painlessly.

Bicycle

I've never suffered the above, but I am regularly clacked on the back of the calf by a rotating pedal when walking with my fixopholous.

I'm working on a system that will allow the rear wheel to rotate whilst the crank remains still. Then it might stop happening.

Why this hasn't already been invented for a fixie, I do not know. My other bikes all have it and it seems reliable and effective.

:angry:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
When walking your bike, hold it by the saddle and walk behind; let it steer itself. A little practice and it's far easier than grabbing it by the bars.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
When walking your bike, hold it by the saddle and walk behind; let it steer itself. A little practice and it's far easier than grabbing it by the bars.

That's exactly what I was doing. It's much easier especially when passing through narrow gaps between peds etc.

Top Bottom