whats the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

loops

Can't believe that I was out on my 4th bike ride on my first road bike
biggrin.gif
in the peak district when I heard another car approaching from behind who then pressed his horn really long and loudly causing me to wobble on my bike..with my feet in toe clips and come off. Whilst I know part of this is due to my inexperience of toe clips & anxiety as a new rider, this was completely unnecessary, I was riding close to the edge not in the middle of the road, other cars were passing me with no problem. What was the point? and its so annoying to be left with those feelings at the side of the road and not be able to do anything
angry.gif

paulb55

Über Member
Can't believe that I was out on my 4th bike ride on my first road bike
biggrin.gif
in the peak district when I heard another car approaching from behind who then pressed his horn really long and loudly causing me to wobble on my bike..with my feet in toe clips and come off. Whilst I know part of this is due to my inexperience of toe clips & anxiety as a new rider, this was completely unnecessary, I was riding close to the edge not in the middle of the road, other cars were passing me with no problem. What was the point? and its so annoying to be left with those feelings at the side of the road and not be able to do anything
angry.gif

loops,

Ignore them, i would have pulled out further into the road and made him wait longer lol, NO SORRY, you have to be strong on your bike, you have the right to be on the road as much as anyone else and you are always going to get at least 2 incidents on a bike ride, in fact if i don't have some woman pull out from a side road, or some idiot overtake me close or a taxi squeezing me in at a pinch point then i feel like something s gone wrong with the world.

Seriously though, don't let it bother you, car drivers are impatient and always will be, 5 seconds to wait for a car driver is like eternity so just carry on with your ride and expect these things to happen

I would rather be out in this beautiful weather than stuck in a traffic jam in a metal box, CARRY AND AND BE CALM

Arch

Married to Night Train
There are some twats out there.

No doubt others will tell you about good road positioning. There's a useful book called Cyclecraft which is a good read with advice on positioning and good riding.

Just remember. Everytime you go out on your bike, you're getting fitter, and contributing to a longer, healthier life. Everytime someone aggressive like that gets in their car, they're probably building up to a heart attack or stroke. Also, there are probably a lot of people who don't like them very much. It's hard at the time, but keep hold of that thought, and be smug.

zacklaws

Guru
This is what you are up against on some rides, fortunatly it does not happen every day.

My last occurrence for myself was on Sunday, when I was going down a quite wide country lane when a small village bus approached from the opposite direction, I moved over tight to the left, but instead of the bus moving over to there left so we could both pass, it moved more over to my side. The result was we both had to slow down and stop nose to nose. I think the driver wanted me to move off the road, but I just stood my ground looking at the driver, his passengers who were looking at me and also looking down to the left side of the bus and all the road at that side and then looking back at the driver.

In the end the driver shook his head, turned his wheel to the left and moved back to his side of the road and carried on. I thought what a plank, what the f*** was that all about.

But as I say, this is what we have to put up with and there's not much we can do, and as Paul says, "you have to be strong on your bike"

Globalti

Legendary Member
By contrast yesterday I took a day off work and did a nice long ride in the country and nobody cut me up or scared me. In fact one Volvo driver (would you believe it?) even pipped his horn respectfully about 100 yards behind us to warn us he was coming and give us time to get into single file.

Strick

Like most people, I get the odd one at some point during the daily commute. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes the evening, sometimes both ways. You have to try to focus on how many others have passed you perfectly well, and then you realise that the problem lies with this single pleb.
I had one the other night, travelling through one of the villages littered with speed bumps at around 16mph. Car comes up behind me "beep, beep, beep, beep, beep..." In short aggresive blasts. Turns out he wanted to take the turning to the left (which he did, behind me) and I was OBVIOUSLY slowing him down! Hadn't heard him blasting his horn at any of the speed bumps, or the bus that would have previously slowed him down. He was obviously just retarted. Didn't take me up on my offer to pull over and "discuss" his actions either.
The problem was, that it spoilt the rest of my ride. Despite knowing that I should let it go, I just wansn't able to for some reason.

Top Bottom