What's the *simplest* way to do this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
Forget about what, sorry? I'll definitely update the thread when I have something to report. Currently waiting to finish a run of night shifts and for the weather to calm down so I can finish the frame - just the lacquer coat to go. Then the assembly, and the fun bit begins.

tyred

Legendary Member
What I have done with wheels for multispeed freewheels is to respace it by removing the spacer between the drive side cone and lock nut and replace with 10mm washers. Move some of them to other side to get the chainline correct and then re-dish the wheel.

A fixed sprocket without a lockring should be fine once it is ridden up a few hills. Add some thread-locking compound for the belt and braces approach.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
What I have done with wheels for multispeed freewheels is to respace it by removing the spacer between the drive side cone and lock nut and replace with 10mm washers. Move some of them to other side to get the chainline correct and then re-dish the wheel.

A fixed sprocket without a lockring should be fine once it is ridden up a few hills. Add some thread-locking compound for the belt and braces approach.

The spacers + re-dish approach seems to be the standard, according to Sheldon and YouTube, but I was hoping to avoid messing with the wheel too much. I'd rather buy another wheel and keep the existing one for the next 'project'. Thanks for the reassurance about the lockring - the force unscrewing it when the rider breaks can't be a tenth of the force of pedalling up a hill, so it's likely that the sprocket will stay put.

OP
OP
RichardB

RichardB

Slightly retro
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fixed-wh...244680?hash=item2649a40ac8:g:9BUAAOSw4Plfheug
I used one of these when I first started riding fixed gear on an old Raleigh,I was dubious about it unscrewing with back pressure but it never did,It's much easier to use a proper track frame if you want to ride fixed as they have the correct spacing at 120mm,ordinary road bikes are easy enough to convert with a tensioner and a singlespeed kit,in fact I use one as my commuter bike

Well, I bought one (paid and then seller forgot to send and had to be reminded!) and fitted it today. It's not perfect with a freewheel but may be OK with a much thinner fixed sprocket. Lovely bit of kit, beautifully made and hopefully I can play around with various combinations and make it work.

Thanks again for the link.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/williams-lightweight-project.268007/post-6209901

Top Bottom