What's the strangest bike you've ridden?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's hard to compete with Wobbly John for velo-madness....

I never rode it, I'm too chicken, but my friend Tom (who made the Wren recumbent), also made the Bedstead Tallbike.

Yes, it's just a bedhead, with bits of bike welded on. I think he's in the process of dismounting here, which involved a bit of a leap. Getting on was a sort of clambering action...

[attachment=570:leicestersept06 004.jpg]

Having been a 'bent rider for almost 20 years, and visited many roadshows etc I have ridden most things - however the weirdest of all must be one I have never seen in the flesh, but intrigues me....

RECUMBNT.jpg

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I can now add the 7 seat CoBi to my list, as well as a buddy bike.
Yesterday, I thought you were trying to set a record for the most types of 'strange' bikes ridden in one day :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Simononvomit.JPG

(That's the vomit comet - not Arch on it)

Then there's always the Wobblebike:

wobblecut2.gif
:thumbsup:

I've done both of those - with the bottom one being my favourite - but any photo I've had taken on it - it always looks like a normal bike... I absolutely hate the reverse steering bike ...

Here is a small history of some of my attempts:
2v3k5s7.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I actually rather like the Wobblebike, particularly the way you can park it in a sort-of heap. My Daewoo Shuttle (the shame, the shame...) can be set up as a velocino. Just turn the handlebars and stem through 180 degrees.
A guy in our local CTC used to ride one of these, and keep up nicely.
If he'd had a road bike, we'd have had to kill him!!

BenScoobert

I can now add the 7 seat CoBi to my list

Oh cool, you did that. I'd have liked to, but it clashed with work.

I did see their minibus and trailer though, parked up where we did our round yesterday.

Of course I'm an old hand on the conference bike, and many other oddities - not sure what counts as weirder than a Conference bike.

IMAG0025.jpg IMAG0026.jpg

Likewise for me, I had to work yesterday when they did the Leeds to Manchester section, on Monday it goes Manchester to stoke, but I just can't be arsed getting back from Stoke afterwards.

These 2 pics were Saturday Morning (Yesterday) outside Leeds Railway station. I didn't plan on seeing it but as I left the station to get a taxi it happened to be there just to rub salt in my jealousy wound.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Company of Cyclists used to have a micro bike tandem. Tom and I took it to Cyclefest at Lancaster, and rode it in the Morecambe prom sprint races, against Pete Eland's recumbent trike tandem (PELT, or Pete's Extremely Long Tandem).

As I remember it, we lined up on the line level with the front of the trike, and then pedalled madly, getting up to oh, 2 or 3 mph, and the tandem cruised past us, for what felt like about half an hour before the back end was past...

bikepete

Guru
Company of Cyclists used to have a micro bike tandem. Tom and I took it to Cyclefest at Lancaster, and rode it in the Morecambe prom sprint races, against Pete Eland's recumbent trike tandem (PELT, or Pete's Extremely Long Tandem).

As I remember it, we lined up on the line level with the front of the trike, and then pedalled madly, getting up to oh, 2 or 3 mph, and the tandem cruised past us, for what felt like about half an hour before the back end was past...

There is photographic evidence:

cfrace.jpg

It is narrower that the Peter Ross "Rolling Roadblock"

THe "Gem" sociable recumbent trike later marketed as the 2Can

real2Can_g03.jpg

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I've ridden Wobbly John's wobblebike, and liked it. I think it's probably the weirdest.

The conference bike is weird, but in an entirely different sort of way. And it's been a slightly different sort of weird each day with a different set of riders.

I'm only posting as an excuse to link to this video, which shows just how much fun we had.

Top Bottom