What's the value......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fastpedaller

....... of a Brompton superlight? It's a 2-speed from 2007, and to be clear it was owned by a collector and hadn't been ridden. I like it, and have done just under 100 miles with it, but it is an indulgence as I won't be using it regularly enough to do it justice. It has straight bars, a Brompton titanium seatpin and original tyres (don't be phased by that, as it was kept in the dark so they are perfect) I've only had it 6 months, and as stated less than 100 miles it is mint despite its age.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
....... of a Brompton superlight? It's a 2-speed from 2007, and to be clear it was owned by a collector and hadn't been ridden. I like it, and have done just under 100 miles with it, but it is an indulgence as I won't be using it regularly enough to do it justice. It has straight bars, a Brompton titanium seatpin and original tyres (don't be phased by that, as it was kept in the dark so they are perfect) I've only had it 6 months, and as stated less than 100 miles it is mint despite its age.
Really need to see a few pics.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They don't have the cachet they once had, because of the full titanium model. Also, the components are better now (except for the gear linkage, which Brompton made worse). I'd guess at £1600 if it's really unused, but it will need new tyres.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
They don't have the cachet they once had, because of the full titanium model. Also, the components are better now (except for the gear linkage, which Brompton made worse). I'd guess at £1600 if it's really unused, but it will need new tyres.

£1600! Isn’t that more than they cost new or is this a special limited edition model?
You can buy a brand new Brompton for around £1100.
It’s not a new bike, it’s 16 years old and comes with no manufacturers warranty.

I’d guess something in the region of £600. Still need to see pics.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
£1600! Isn’t that more than they cost new or is this a special limited edition model?
It’s not a new bike, it’s 16 years old and comes with no manufacturers warranty.

The rule of thumb for Bromptons is that one in average condition holds its original purchase price. Recently, you can add 25% to this.

The bike would have been about £950 new, I think, but it is not in average used condition.

You can't compare the brand new £1100 bike with this: the superlight ones cost twice as much as the standard ones when new.

tinywheels

Über Member

I think you're correct.
only a mug would pay the premium for this.
on a cycle to work scheme, you could get a nice new bike for a good discount.
I think the days of pandemic prices are over.My local dealer is full of bromptons.
Prices have moved south on used bikes in general. I suspect its only the tight grip Brompton have over their retailers that stops new ones being discounted.
I just paid £200 for a service on my one. OK, so I needed a couple of parts,but the cost is still eyebrow raising to many.
Perhaps with a cost of living crisis,now is the time for Brompton and the sellers of used ones to look at their pricing.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

sound like you have recently bought it, so what you paid for it would be a decent starting point...

T4tomo

Legendary Member

The superlight is part titanium part steel and is about £2300 new, albeit with the 4 gears rather than 2.

Top Bottom