Whats This "Bit" Called ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
The thing (You gotta love me LOL) thats on the front forks

Whats it called peeps ? and I guess its a good idea getting one for my Cube considering all the mud I am cycling though ?
SDC13166.jpg

Panter

Just call me Chris...
It may be a neoguard although it's just as likely to be a piece of innertube cut and cable tied in position.
Either are astonishingly effective at keeping muck out of your face when travelling at speed through mud.
Neoguards are great, and convenient, but very expensive for what they are. I have a neoguard on my full susser and a piece of innertube on the hardtail.

EDIT: Just enlarged the picture and it is a piece of innertube!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
yeah, its called an inner tube off cut. I used to make them myself but found they didn't last long, then had one made out of a neoprene off cut which was great but eventually tore itself apart on the zip tie. So I treated myself to a neoguard. Darned good idea if you ride off road on claggy stuff and don't fancy the odd mouthful, or eyeful, of cow pat once you pick up a bit of speed.

But clean the back regularly else all the grit and grime that builds up there will wash down onto your fork seals and wreck 'em. ime anyway.

lukesdad

Often seen these they work then do they ? The reason Ive never used crud guards is because of the amount that collects on them,and they usually deposit their load at an inopertune moment. :blush:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Often seen these they work then do they ? The reason Ive never used crud guards is because of the amount that collects on them,and they usually deposit their load at an inopertune moment. :blush:

They're spectacular!

I was a little cycnical to start with, but it's astonishing just how much crud gets lifted on the front tyre, then sprayed over you and the bike.
This simple thing just stops all that happening :thumbsup:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I cut ours out of a piece of tyre (rather than inner) and with four zip ties they've lasted for years.

Again pretty doubtful about them when first suggested, but they work brilliantly.

Rear crud catchers are brilliant as well. Prevents masses of wear and tear to both your clothes and the washing machine.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I cut ours out of a piece of tyre (rather than inner) and with four zip ties they've lasted for years.

Again pretty doubtful about them when first suggested, but they work brilliantly.

Rear crud catchers are brilliant as well. Prevents masses of wear and tear to both your clothes and the washing machine.

dang good idea and dang good advice re rears, did you cut the bead off or was it a kevlar beaded tyre?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
They would have been kevlar beaded, but I can't remember if I cut them off.
And it's too cold to go out to the garage and check right now!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
as the front wheel rotates at speed crap on it gets flung up in the air in front of the bike, you then ride into it. it then goes in your mouth, unpleasant, or your eyes, painful.

Top Bottom