Whats this Cycle Computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

Dont know if this is the right forum to post this but I'm asking for help to identify this computer. Hopefully a photo is attached, hope I've done that OK.

I bought it from a Raleigh shop about 10 years ago. Its still working, but I want to transfer it from one bike to another, trouble is they have different wheel sizes.

You've guessed it, I no longer have the manual!!!

It has Scan-5 across the top and Cyclocomputer around the bottom. As far as I can tell no other ID marks.

If anyone should have one of these or know how to alter the config of it I would be very grateful to know.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Anything handy on t'internet? Got an LBS which might have been around long enough??

Is there a reset button on the bottom? It might just be a hole with a button at the bottom of it, you'll need a matchstick to press it. If there is, reset it and there should be a function button on the unit somewhere which sets the time, wheelsize etc. The usual drill is a short press to increase the current measurement,long press to accept and move on to the next measurement. I hope that helps.

OP
OP
sadjack

sadjack

Thanks Chuffy

Yes I've reset it.

Problem is I dont know what to set the whell size to. Each computer I have seem to have different codes.

However it defaults to c2155. I've done some searches on the net for that and the fact that it flash's kmh. I've found a couple of computers that have that and I've input the code from one of those. I'll take the bike over a known distance and see if I'm right!

Thanks everyone who have tried to help.

Brock

If it defaults to 2155 then I believe it's the circumference of the wheel+tyre that it needs for calibration. You can measure the distance by marking the tyre and travelling one revolution and all that palaver, or just use a chart like this one of Sheldon's.
Sounds like you've probably got it right anyway.

OP
OP
sadjack

sadjack

Thanks Brock. Your right. Problem is each manufacturer seems to have their own code for the wheel size. So unless I can get the manufacturers details I will not be sure its right.

Having said that I now have some details which seem right, just need to measure it over a given know distance which I will do soon.

Brock

Sheldon lists a number of different formulas that cycle computers use, so:

Formulas:
A Circumference in inches
B Circumference in inches X 2.727
C Circumference in centimeters
D Radius in millimeters
E Circumference in millimeters / 1.6093
F Circumference in millimeters

Yours appears to use type F, which is nice and simple. If you don't get a choice during setup of KM/h or M/h and you want your data in miles, you probably need to divide your circumference by 1.61 as in type E above.

:eek:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The computer is an Echowell Scan 5. They don't seem to make this one any more, but you can download manuals for their current models here.
AFAICR the number you enter is the circumference in mm.

domtyler

Über Member
TheDoctor said:
The computer is an Echowell Scan 5. They don't seem to make this one any more, but you can download manuals for their current models here.
AFAICR the number you enter is the circumference in mm.

Surely you could just pop back to the mid ninety eighties and get one for the lad?

sreevesjc

Dont know if this is the right forum to post this but I'm asking for help to identify this computer. Hopefully a photo is attached, hope I've done that OK.

I bought it from a Raleigh shop about 10 years ago. Its still working, but I want to transfer it from one bike to another, trouble is they have different wheel sizes.

You've guessed it, I no longer have the manual!!!

It has Scan-5 across the top and Cyclocomputer around the bottom. As far as I can tell no other ID marks.

If anyone should have one of these or know how to alter the config of it I would be very grateful to know.

I have the same mileage recorder and the instructions are attached.

Attachments

• Scan-5 Cyclocomputer instructions.pdf
    913.1 KB · Views: 390
Top Bottom