What's with ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Folks in cars who want to turn left and come up onto your side indicating? As if I'm going to slam the brakes on, don a curtesy and let them cut me up. I've had 2 experiences of this this week, both times I had my stomach in my mouth in case they hadn't seen me.

Also, patiently perched at some TLs to go straight on, some noob pulled up to my side and just edged in front, even angled the bonnet slight to the left and then stuck his left indicator on!

I snarled and mouthed a choice word and then literally had to move forward, avoiding said bonnet before the lights changed. It set me up in a right rant for the first 15 mins of my day :blush:

Also, dual carriageways that miraculously seem to lose a lane at times. I ride to work between 6 a.m and 6.15 a.m each day, lovely and quiet, and EACH DAY I have some fool getting personal whilst there is another free lane. Is it just that they a) can't be arsed moving the steering wheel a couple of degrees, B) they don't see me or c) am I riding too close to the kerb (I don't feel that I am though)?

:biggrin::evil:

Possible PMT I think :angry::angry::angry:

I don't get it .....

snapper_37 said:
Also, patiently perched at some TLs to go straight on, some noob pulled up to my side and just edged in front, even angled the bonnet slight to the left and then stuck his left indicator on!

When I get this (fairly often) I just edge back in front of them. I had some A-hole in Wembley think it was OK to keep playing this game until his car was actually pushing against my leg. He was very apologetic after I punched his bonnet and screamed at him "what the f*ck did he think he was doing?"

wafflycat

Sorry if the following comes across as teaching granny to suck eggs - it's not meant like that.

Waiting at traffic lights position yourself right in the middle of the lane - this usually means that the twunts who wish to left-hook you have no space on your right to get in to nudge you.

wafflycat said:
Sorry if the following comes across as teaching granny to suck eggs - it's not meant like that.

Waiting at traffic lights position yourself right in the middle of the lane - this usually means that the twunts who wish to left-hook you have no space on your right to get in to nudge you.

That all depends on how wide the road is. Keep in mind I've been undertaken by cars whilst cycling in primary position before!

Cab

Had one last week who came alongside at traffic lights while I was waiting in primary. A lorry on the main road appeared and indicated to turn left, the guy waiting to my right was now in his way and had to reverse :blush:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
snapper_37 said:
Also, dual carriageways that miraculously seem to lose a lane at times. ... EACH DAY I have some fool getting personal whilst there is another free lane. Is it just that they a) can't be arsed moving the steering wheel a couple of degrees, :smile: they don't see me or c) am I riding too close to the kerb (I don't feel that I am though)?

Yep, had that, when the car infront was a copper!

Gets to me when, even tho you're going downhill at 30+, in primary, they still think there are 2 lanes - and overtake when there's a vehicle in the outside lane....

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
snapper_37 said:
Good replies (and advice). 1 question - what is 'primary'????

It'll probably cause argument but simply:

Primary : position approximately middle of lane. Main reason to take it is when you're keeping pace with traffic or when it'd be unsafe for vehicles to overtake (i.e. pinch points, roundabout entry and exits, junctions etc)

Secondary : more to the left, although no closer to the kerb than 700mm (the crap gets swept into the gutter - all the puncture causing stuff) it'll probably be the predominant riding position, but only when its safe for traffic to pass.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
gambatte said:
Primary : position approximately middle of lane. Main reason to take it is when you're keeping pace with traffic or when it'd be unsafe for vehicles to overtake (i.e. pinch points, roundabout entry and exits, junctions etc)

I would have said more in the middle of the traffic flow rather than the middle of the lane. Most of the time it's the same thing, but not always.

Tynan

Veteran
as near to the center of the lane without leaving enough space on your inside for someone stupid to get interested in squeezing through, center of the lane usually, if you;re in 'primary' and you're still getting people trying to pass you then it's not a good position

OP
OP
snapper_37

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Thanks guys. I think I tend to do that coming up to roundabouts, roads with cars parked either side etc.

Perhaps I should have been more in primary when a single decker effing bus brushed my shoulder this morning. ;) Again! Moving off from traffic lights when I was there first!! Nahh!!

Top Bottom