What's wrong with my wheel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alex_ata

So I just replaced the inner-tube on my rear wheel, and when I put the wheel back on the bike, it touches the inside of the frame, making it unrideable. Can anyone tell me how to fix it or what's up with it? I know it's probably quite hard over the internet but here are some pictures that might help out:

P28-05-10_17-15.jpg

top view

P28-05-10_17-151.jpg

left

P28-05-10_17-152.jpg

right + chain

thanks

GrasB

Veteran
You've just jammed the wheel to the back of the drop outs, this has put the wheel in the wrong position. To correct unbolt the left hand nut & then move the left hand side of the axle until the wheel is straight in the frame. Also if you've just rammed the wheel back as far as possible your chain tension will probably be wrong, I find the optimal is about 1/2" of static droop on the chain (less than that I find chains & aluminium chainrings start to wear very quickly).

OP
OP
A

alex_ata

Ahh okay so just bring the wheel a little further forward in the holders? I just assumed that it was meant to be right at the back. Thanks a lot!x

GrasB

Veteran
Just on the one side. Get your chain tension about right first, get the wheel mostly straight, then get the chain tension perfect & realign the wheel. It shouldn't take more than 3 iterations of this to get it right.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You have to 'shuffle' both sides..... to get the tension OK.

If you are right to the 'back' of the drop outs, then the chain needs shortening......no adjustment.

Also, is the wheel properly built ? If so should sit bang in the middle.....

If (the wheel) is built 100%, then the frame may be bent .............. if it don't sit straight.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Is it me or does that chain line look way out ? Looks like the axle is too long in the BB.

zimzum42

Legendary Member

Top Bottom