What's your biggest regular(ish) climb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

No particular steep hills on my commute, just rolling road.
This is the steepest on the way to work
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3625823

This is the steepest on my way home.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3625809

When I looked at it I was surprised at how lumpy the route is.

Ujamaflip

My route to work is completely flat, but via a small detour I can commute through the foothills of the Black Forest. I tried out this route last weekend, it was a beautiful ride, 35km in total and took 2 hours instead of the usual 1 hour 15 minutes with the 30km flat route.

The hilly bits are here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3627118, the steepest climb is an 8.8% gradient of about 350m over 4km. Towards the end there's a 12% descent over about 4km, I got up to about 65km down and it scared the crap out of me!

I don't really fancy that 12% climb as a reverse commute, but I think I'll start using this hilly commute some mornings to help train.

adscrim

Veteran
I wouldn't say regular because it's a beast, but the nastiest unbroken climb I sometimes take in is the road from Kenmore to Garrow. 1400ft in three and a half miles.

Chrisc

Guru
ColinJ said:
Blimey, where do I start...? ;)

hebden-bridge-steep-local-hills.jpg

It is alpine over your way tho eh? xx(
Do you manage those with a compact?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chrisc said:
It is alpine over your way tho eh? ;)
Do you manage those with a compact?
No, I have a triple and a big sprocket! I run 52/39/30 chainrings and a 14-28 cassette. :biggrin:

I'll revert to a 13-26 cassette when I've lost another stone or so and I may eventually go back to my original 12-23. Mind you, I don't have much use for a 12 spocket so there's not much point.

The 13-26 gave me good high and low gears but I needed a little bit more help on the steep stuff when I ballooned up to over 15 stone. :biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Bayerd said:
That's a route I do from time to time, down Manchester Road to get the legs going, up Gledholt Road/Bank, up New Hey Road, then up to the Jack O Mitre before dropping down past Slawit Hall. The thing with this route as you'll know is that as well as the constant climbing, you've usually got a head wind to contend with as well for the majority of it.

If I'm not going that way, I can either pick Standedge which climbs over 500ft in a couple of miles, or through Meltham and up Wessenden Head to the Ilse of Skye road. Slawit up to Scape is another good'un. Surrounded by hills here....
Tell me about it. MTB only territory fro me that climb, don't think I'd make it on the compact!! Cubester and did a run out from Scape to Marsden, up Wessenden Head, down through Meltham, Blackmoorfoot, Linthwaite then Milnsbridge. The climb up through Golcar to Scape was just a bit too much for him that day, but it was the last two or three miles of 20!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Anerley Hill is probably my "biggest", it doesn't really compare to some of the climbs posted on here, LOL!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Shooters Hill, SE London can be a bit of a pain. 40mph on the downhill Kent-side on the way home but after a 10 mile approach to it the uphill is a pain!:wacko:

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Ujamaflip said:
My route to work is completely flat, but via a small detour I can commute through the foothills of the Black Forest. I tried out this route last weekend, it was a beautiful ride, 35km in total and took 2 hours instead of the usual 1 hour 15 minutes with the 30km flat route.

The hilly bits are here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3627118, the steepest climb is an 8.8% gradient of about 350m over 4km. Towards the end there's a 12% descent over about 4km, I got up to about 65km down and it scared the crap out of me!

I don't really fancy that 12% climb as a reverse commute, but I think I'll start using this hilly commute some mornings to help train.

Das scheint mir eine große Herausforderung!

Have you ever been up the Katzenbuckel near Eberbach? It's a killer! And don't stop in Eberbach between 14:00 and 15:00 - everything is shut!

Chrisc

Guru
ColinJ said:
No, I have a triple and a big sprocket! I run 52/39/30 chainrings and a 14-28 cassette. :biggrin:

I'll revert to a 13-26 cassette when I've lost another stone or so and I may eventually go back to my original 12-23. Mind you, I don't have much use for a 12 spocket so there's not much point.

The 13-26 gave me good high and low gears but I needed a little bit more help on the steep stuff when I ballooned up to over 15 stone. :cold:

I see, I'm on a compact 50/34 with a 12-25 as it came. Managing my relatively ( to your mind) small hills OK bar one which is a hell of a grind at 12% for the last few hundred yards. Hoping that I get strong enough to climb easier before it kills me!
Was thinking of a 13-28 but now determined to stock with this for the time being. A 13-28 might come in handy when I try Holme Moss later this year.

Top Bottom