What's your clipless preference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm going back to clipless on the fixed as I intend on using it for more than just commuter/utility riding. Was going to just go for spd's but thought that maybe there were other (better?) options out there after seeing things like eggbeaters and so on!

What do you recommend? I'm not interested in single sided road pedals or anything that can't just be clipped into 'blind', so ease of getting in is important. I do need something nice and secure for fixed and mtb riding, something I've not quite had previously with spd's.

yenrod

Get some Times.

Greenbank

Über Member
Double-sided SPDs (M520 or M540) with Spesh MTB shoes (i.e recessed cleats and plastic mouldings to allow easy walking).

I'll never go back to single-sided pedals ever again. Such a faff compared to stomp'n'go of double-sided.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
SPD-SL's for me, Shimano 105's. They are nice, and not hard to clip into. Infact easier i think because you catch the pedal on the way around and can clip in when you push down. Bit harder if you miss it, but i've only missed it a few times.
Nice pedals.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
I've got spd-sl's on my road bike at the moment. Nice pedals I agree, but I've decided to go for the luxury of walking and the ability to clip in from a standing start up a hill without browning myself (i.e. Bristol traffic!). I'm also considering the walkability as I'll be doing a bit of touring next year too.

Should I just got back to spds and crank the tension up? The larger float on the eggbeaters was appealing but there's a few reviews about questioning their durability and security when clipped in.

Andy Pandy

SPD M520s are a decent pedal that has a big enough surface area that if you don't clip in first revolution you, can continue to pedal while you wiggle your foot in.

The Crank Brother's Smarty looks to be something similar to the M520, but not sure what the cleat is like.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
GrahamG said:
I've got spd-sl's on my road bike at the moment. Nice pedals I agree, but I've decided to go for the luxury of walking and the ability to clip in from a standing start up a hill without browning myself (i.e. Bristol traffic!). I'm also considering the walkability as I'll be doing a bit of touring next year too.

Should I just got back to spds and crank the tension up? The larger float on the eggbeaters was appealing but there's a few reviews about questioning their durability and security when clipped in.

Give it a try, i was surprised how easy it was to do it.
Its just the walking that they arent the best for, but then i dont do much walking with them.

MessenJah

Rider
time-roc-atac-med.jpg

easy in, easy out.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
I was tempted by the atacs but have gone to spd's given the difference in price! Visit to Specialized concept store at lunch to sort some shoes out.

MessenJah

Rider
Are spd's generally cheaper then?

I only went with atacs because others said they were the easiest to use so especially good for people who've never used clipless pedals before. Which given my inexperience with any sort of foot retention system, sounded like a good thing.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Yeah, the M540 double sided job that's one up from the cheapest is £25 from Parker international vs. £40 odd for the cheapest atac model. I think I was just being far too anal about it to be honest ;)
Far more importantly, I've bought my first pair of shop fitted shoes for my relatively wide feet (I've always used oversized narrow shimano's or diadora and never been comfortable!) - felt great!

gavintc

Guru
I have used a variety of pedals; SPD, SPD SL and Look Keo. I prefer the Look Keo pedals for road cycling but have come to accept that for commuting which demands walking a reasonable distance, that it is hard to beat SPD. My personal problem is that my SPD shoes are like training shoes and do not dry quickly. The last week has been less than fun putting on wet shoes in the morning. I may have to think about purchasing a different pair of SPD compatable shoes.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
gavintc said:
My personal problem is that my SPD shoes are like training shoes and do not dry quickly. The last week has been less than fun putting on wet shoes in the morning. I may have to think about purchasing a different pair of SPD compatable shoes.
I don't know what shoes you have, but my MT41s have the same problem.

However, if you stuff them with newspaper (pick up a metro or three on the way in) as soon as you get in, then change the newspaper at lunchtime, they should be reasonably comfortable for the ride home.

The other option is waterproof overshoes, I guess.

Top Bottom