What's your favourite science fiction book?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Flying_Monkey said:
Yeah. Enough to know they are awful. Do we have a scientologist in the house? They seem to be the only people who think the awful old fraudster had much in the way of literary talent... :smile:

No not me!!!!

I read them as a youth, think I even managed to finish the 10 books, but can't remember the detail (obviously made an impression!). There's some interesting reading on Wikipedia about the books, seems they were not genuine best sellers. It was only later I realised what the author was about. There was a great documentary on TV a year or so back with that guy from the One Show. I also read that the basis of that church was the result of a bet with another SF author.

WeeE

rh100 said:
Did anyone ever read L Ron Hubbard, Mission Earth Series or Battlefield Earth?

Ugh!!! I don't know anyone over the age of ten who likes SF who can stand to read Hubbard - it's excruciating. It's so-bad-it's-funny for a bit, but after a bit it's just painful.

BTW, if you know anyone who's thinking of dabbling with Scientology, give them a bit of Hubbard pulp to read, with all the really, really bad writing, the raving misogyny and too, too revealing* creepy-sex - and you'll inoculate them for life (unless they're too stupid to live).

(Creepily revealing of Hubbard, that is; far from being in yer face, it's the repressed quality...and maybe what's being repressed, that's creepiest.)

Melvil

I'm currently reading a rather interesting book by Nick Harkaway called 'The Gone-away world' which is part sci-fi, part speculative fiction and very good so far. Much more balletic action prose than Iain M Banks, a little in the style of Neal Stephenson (who I highly rate).

In fact, Neal Stephenson's 'Anathem' has to rate as one of the most involving, deeply thought and genuinely thought-provoking sci-fi books I've read for a long time. It takes a long while to get into but once you're in it is literally a wholly imagined world, not just a wee offshoot of ours with new technology bolted on.

rh100

WeeE said:
Ugh!!! I don't know anyone over the age of ten who likes SF who can stand to read Hubbard - it's excruciating. It's so-bad-it's-funny for a bit, but after a bit it's just painful.

BTW, if you know anyone who's thinking of dabbling with Scientology, give them a bit of Hubbard pulp to read, with all the really, really bad writing, the raving misogyny and too, too revealing* creepy-sex - and you'll inoculate them for life (unless they're too stupid to live).

(Creepily revealing of Hubbard, that is; far from being in yer face, it's the repressed quality...and maybe what's being repressed, that's creepiest.)

Good idea :thumbsup: put them off for life hopefully

wafflycat

Carwash said:
But seriously - six pages into this thread, and no mention of 'Dune'? Kull wahad!

Ahem...

my very first post on this thread includes the author as one of my favourites, hence by clear inference, the novel.

Do wake up at the back. :thumbsup:

rh100

OK then - what about 'Fantasy' books (not too off topic is it?)

started with the usual The Hobbit I think, reading LOTR later as a teenager, needs to be read a couple of times. Tried some of Tolkiens other stuff, but a bit heavy for me. (thought the films did it fair justice - all things considered).

Others I read were Eddings (went off him after the first series - predictable) and Gemmel. And obviously Pratchett.

I think my favourite was probably Magician by Raymond E Feist, and the subsequent books.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
rh100 said:
OK then - what about 'Fantasy' books (not too off topic is it?)

I think my favourite was probably Magician by Raymond E Feist, and the subsequent books.

I loved Magician, but slowly got more and more exhausted with the never ending sequels (excepting the Empire series - the Tsuranuanni (sp?) were excellent )

rh100

cisamcgu said:
I loved Magician, but slowly got more and more exhausted with the never ending sequels (excepting the Empire series - the Tsuranuanni (sp?) were excellent )

I think that's where I gave up aswell - lost track of them.

Top Bottom